Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

What are the best subs to install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default What are the best subs to install?

Hi guys, I'm looking to install some subs to my 2007 Audi S4. The problem is choosing a good brand. I've heard that the 2 12' JL with an amp would rock my car. But another person recommended to me Focals, which is suposely better in quality and its handmade. anyone got any ideas on what kind of speakers I should install?

Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Default RE: What are the best subs to install?

Opinions will vary, but JL Audio's line of subs are excellent IMO. As far as components go, focals aren't bad. I personally run Polk's in mine, and they rock.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

I'd reccomend Alpine type X subswith rockford amps and you will be very satisfied with the results.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

hmm ok.. so alpine or jls..... how much do you guys think thats gonna cost me?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

"Best" is sooo subjective. What do you listen to? How loud do you listen to music? What's the rest of your system consist of? What have you heard that you've liked (or disliked) to give us a comparison and basis to suggest some components for you...

What's your budget? Who's installing this equipment? What's the installer's skill level? Who's tuning the system once it's installed? What's the tuner's skill level?

There are several options, but I'll need to know the answers to the above to start suggesting equipment...

Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 AM
1st Gear

oh nice questions,
well.. I listen to anything but country. but i usually listen to hiphop/rap/ r&b, and i like mine really loud (esp with the hip/hop rap genres)
My current system consists of 8 Bose Speakers that came stock with my 07 S4. I want to get a better system so i can hear the lows and highs better. To tell you the truth i haven't heard anything that i've disliked. A friend of mine has two diamond subs with about 1.2k watts of power which allows his car to be heard before its seen. I heard that diamonds aren't that good these days and an audio shop recommneded me Jls while another one recommended me Focals.

For my budget... well let's just say I want to keep it as minimal as possible without sacrificing too much power and thump. But please don't let it stop you from recommending the best. As for the installer and tuner it'll probably be a shop cuz i don't know much about wiring, unless theres a really detailed guide to wiring the speakers.

What i basilly want is a lot more bass, the sub in my s4 now just doesnt cut it for me. think you can help?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 AM
1st Gear

Since you said "really loud", there's no way around it - you're going to want LOTS of power, and big speakers...especially for rap/r&b/hip hop. I would suggest at least (2) 12"s, and more than 1000 watts.

JL Audio is a GREAT company for numerous reasons: They've got a complete product line (wires, electronics/amps, speakers & subs/enclosures, etc.), are readily available, and offer excellent support both before and after the sale. Most importantly, their products sound excellent. Is there better than JL? Sure. However, the brands will become more esoteric, more expensive, less-readily available dealer support, etc. JL Audio's pretty hard to beat dollar for dollar.

Their 1000/1 amplifier: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=440 will drive a pair of their 12W6v2 subwoofers:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s....php?page_id=4
Even better would be the 13W6v2s:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=18

I would suggest you upgrade the door and rear deck speakers as well. You'll want an amplifier such as this to drive them:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=437
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=120
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=119

Don't forget you'll need wire, a subwoofer enclosure, install labor, etc. Trust me, you'll want to do it right the 1st time, and avoid buyer's remorse and/or "upgrading" in the future.

For a more budget minded approach (without sacrificing quality):
(2) http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=26
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=400
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=402
(keep the same speakers for the door and rear deck as above)

You can use the OEM head unit. It's speaker level outputs can be converted to line level in the trunk of the B6 - at the OEM amplifier location.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear

i along with my friend installed (and by installed mean watched a asian guy at the local circuit cityinstall) a custom box with 3 10in. JL subs in his 89 volvo wagon.damnthey soundgood.

soto answer your question I say go with 3 (or4 if you feel dangerous) JL subs and a really powerful good amp. sound is really loud, but might kill your trunk

or get one of those huge 22in. subs that they use in Pimp my Ride

Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: csuflyboy

Since you said "really loud", there's no way around it - you're going to want LOTS of power, and big speakers...especially for rap/r&b/hip hop. I would suggest at least (2) 12"s, and more than 1000 watts.
I have to completely disagree with you on that. Really loud does NOT necessarily mean LOTS of power. then again... LOTS of power is also subjective.

Focal makes great components. You do not want their subwoofers though if you're looking for loud. I am currently running JL audio 12w7 12" subwoofers in my car running on a Phoenix gold xenon variable impedence (subs and amp are for sale right now actually) amp with under 1,000 watts per sub and I have blown away many a douchebag with ridiculous power going to their subs. Guys running 3,000 watts per sub to Audiobahn garbage mostly. A lot of brands hike up the power tolerances of their subs because alot of naive people out there will judge an audio application's merit on wattage. You do not need high wattage to have high SPL. focal makes extremely high end components and equally as high end subwoofers, but they are made for sound quality and do not put out the pure volume of sound you're looking for. I would go with either an MTX 9500 series subwoofer (an incredible piece of engineering) or a JL w7 series subwoofer (best all aroundSPL and clarity subwoofer out there). most of the other big brands... they may put out equal numbers... but they require way too much power. for instance... rockford HE2 (t2) subs are right up there with the other two brands... however if you run more than one... you'll probably need an extra battery. You can get as much if not better SPL (loudness) from the JL or MTX as any of the others... without having to run 4 amplifiers and 3 batteries.

Im sorry guy.. Focal Utopia components are not even in the same frigging league... no scratch that... not even in the same galaxy as polk audio, infinity, mb quarts etc... Utopias and CDTs are 2345623462456245 times better than anything you will EVER find at circuit city... thats a friggin joke to even compare the two.

I paid $1,100 for my Focal Utopia 3way components 3 years ago and I can assure you that they are worth every penny and I will never buy an inside speaker from anywhere else ever again... except for MAYBE CDT eurosports.

the best bang for your buck is going to be the JL audio w7 series. I can give you a clue though... the 12" subs are $599 a piece though. you can get them on ebay for about $450 a piece. I have a pair on sale WITH the amp to push them for $900. they are six months old and They just take up too much room in my TT. I have pictures of it all in my photo gallery. if you go to the marketplace forum, you'll see my post.

IF you choose to go with JL, you'd be way better off buying them used. If not from me, then from somewhere else. those damn things are expensive.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

ORIGINAL: csuflyboy

I have to completely disagree with you on that. Really loud does NOT necessarily mean LOTS of power. then again... LOTS of power is also subjective.
You can disagree with me all you want, but logic and science disagree with you. If you hold one or the other constant (same amplifier or sub), either more cone surface area, or more power will prove to have more output.

Focal makes great components. You do not want their subwoofers though if you're looking for loud....focal makes extremely high end components and equally as high end subwoofers, but they are made for sound quality and do not put out the pure volume of sound you're looking for....
Focal makes a line dedicated to higher output:
http://www.focal-fr.com/car/en/k2power/index.htm

I am currently running JL audio 12w7 12" subwoofers in my car running on a Phoenix gold xenon variable impedence (subs and amp are for sale right now actually) amp with under 1,000 watts per sub and I have blown away many a douchebag with ridiculous power going to their subs. Guys running 3,000 watts per sub to Audiobahn garbage mostly. A lot of brands hike up the power tolerances of their subs because alot of naive people out there will judge an audio application's merit on wattage. You do not need high wattage to have high SPL. focal makes extremely high end components and equally as high end subwoofers, but they are made for sound quality and do not put out the pure volume of sound you're looking for. I would go with either an MTX 9500 series subwoofer (an incredible piece of engineering) or a JL w7 series subwoofer (best all aroundSPL and clarity subwoofer out there). most of the other big brands... they may put out equal numbers... but they require way too much power. for instance... rockford HE2 (t2) subs are right up there with the other two brands... however if you run more than one... you'll probably need an extra battery. You can get as much if not better SPL (loudness) from the JL or MTX as any of the others... without having to run 4 amplifiers and 3 batteries.
I think the word you're looking for is "efficiency". It will take more power to develop the same SPL with a lower efficiency driver.

Im sorry guy.. Focal Utopia components are not even in the same frigging league... no scratch that... not even in the same galaxy as polk audio, infinity, mb quarts etc... Utopias and CDTs are 2345623462456245 times better than anything you will EVER find at circuit city... thats a friggin joke to even compare the two.

I paid $1,100 for my Focal Utopia 3way components 3 years ago and I can assure you that they are worth every penny and I will never buy an inside speaker from anywhere else ever again... except for MAYBE CDT eurosports.
I'm glad you like your Focals. Let's not push what's subjective (sound quality) as objective - suggesting that the Utopia is the best speaker ever. Polk's SR series, MB Quart's QSD series, etc., are all very good speakers - in the right installer and tuner's hands. Let the user decide what he/she feels is "the best".

IF you choose to go with JL, you'd be way better off buying them used. If not from me, then from somewhere else. those damn things are expensive.
There are numerous reasons that would make buying from an authorized dealer beneficial. Warranty, customer support, product knowledge/application, etc. FYI: I'm NOT a JL Audio dealer. This holds true for any brand - buying in a store vs. online/used is a difference in service that the client will have to decide if it's worth the potential savings vs. risk.

I'm not trying to start a war here, rather debunk some of the myths about car audio...

I suggest everyone read www.bcae1.com - it's a great resource for all experience levels.

Quick Reply: What are the best subs to install?