Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

upgraded bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Default upgraded bulbs

Hey guys. Just leased my first audi so I don't want to go crazy with modding it since I plan to turn it back in. Anyway, it's basically a 2013 base model A4 with a few minor factory upgrades, if you even want to call them that... upgraded dark grey paint which I love. Upgraded/more rugged matts in car and both. Dual heated seats (might have not even been an upgrade). It's basically a base model A4.

Regardless, I didn't want to fork over the extra money for the upgraded lighting package (even though they look awesome). I did, however, noticed my rear license plate has some kind of light (LED?) that is more a blueish or at least a true white light unlike my basic headlights that you see on any honda or toyota.

Are there any bulbs I could swap out that would give a similar shade of lightning without looking ricey? I don't want to go with any of the xenon or HID kits as that would be too costly and time consuming to revert back before turning it in on lease in 3 years.

So, school me on a bulbs and tell what kind of bulbs I am looking for.

Thanks.

P.S. I was never a true believer of the engineering of an audi and quattro until I experienced it. I'm hooked for life! Them german's know a thing or two!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

Blue bulbs are tinted, and despite all the hype, they actually put out less light than un-tinted bulbs. If you run H7 bulbs the 65w version (don't buy from a source in China) give about 50% more light.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by feirstein
Blue bulbs are tinted, and despite all the hype, they actually put out less light than un-tinted bulbs. If you run H7 bulbs the 65w version (don't buy from a source in China) give about 50% more light.
Forgive me as I'm a newb. A quick google of H7 65w showed up various brands... mostly Osram.

Can you make any exact recommendations on brand to ensure direct fitment/swap of the OEM bulbs? I didn't want to fork over the extra $1k or so for upgraded light setup on the audi, but wouldn't mind upgrading the bulbs to give a more true white look... something similar to the shade that's lighting my license plate.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

Car Bulbs › H7 (499) | PowerBulbs

This shows some H7's that I think would be compatible with my 2013 A4. After quick review, I see some are 55w. As to not reduce light output from the slight blue tint, do I want to go no lower than 65w? A pal on another audi forum recommended Sportzblue by Ring 80w.

Last edited by audi_nyc; 04-23-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
4th Gear

hmm seems to me u need new schooling in the light bulb. the rear plate light i assume that you speak of is a led. Leds come in many different sizes shapes colors and designs. U can upgrade your entire interior to led and it will be fairly cheap considering you are driving an audi. pics for reference. Name:  DSC00182-2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  120.5 KB
Name:  DSC00180-1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  124.4 KB for the headlights u have the option of installing hid aftermarket kit which is not expensive in any way shape or form and if u can change a light bulb in the headlight u can install the hid kit! ITs really that simple. Hid kits come in different kelvin temps ranging in 4300k which is the stock temp most cars use today all the way up to 12000k which is extremly deep blue. i have 55 watt 6000k in my headlights and 8000k 35 watt kit in my fogs and they are extremly bright. So lightoutput might go down but h onestly when upgrading from halegon to hid it will get brighter unless u buy a cheap ebay kit. Name:  DSC02027.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  83.9 KB
Name:  DSC02014.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  80.2 KB
any other questions feel free to ask or pm me.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

You don't want 80w bulbs, they are not safe. The H7 65w bulb is the same color temperature as the 55w bulb but has 50% more output. Osram is the bulb source. Colored bulbs should be avoid as should HID conversion kits. Go to Candle Power's web site, avoid a source from Asia.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
1st Gear
Default avoid HID LED converstion kits....?

Originally Posted by feirstein
You don't want 80w bulbs, they are not safe. The H7 65w bulb is the same color temperature as the 55w bulb but has 50% more output. Osram is the bulb source. Colored bulbs should be avoid as should HID conversion kits. Go to Candle Power's web site, avoid a source from Asia.
wanted your thoughts as to why HID LED conversion kits should be avoided, was thinking of upgrading an older Audi Allroad A6 when faced with next bulb replacement.... thxs in advance ...

Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 PM
1st Gear

Dan Stern's web site (Stern Lighting) has a great article on why HID kits are and should be illegal. It is impossible to get them to focus correctly. No major lighting vender still offers a conversion kit, (the few that did withdrew them from the market.)

HIR bulbs and H7 bulbs with H9 burners offer almost the same increase in brightness, and they focus to perfection in non-HID fixtures. Any bulb that offers a "whiter" experience is using a coating on the bulb that typically reduces the brightness by about 50%, despite claims to the contrary. If they offer the same brightness they will typically burn out after about 50 hours of use.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 PM
4th Gear

in our cars i would not worry about focusing the hid light as our lights contain projector lens which tend to throw a decent pattern out. ITs the non projector housing that making hid lighting very dangerous! U can look this up on any other forum. IF you dont have a projector lens for the low beam i would not install a hid kit. But if you do you wont have any problems. I have had my hid kit on my car both low beam and fog lights for about 2 and a half years. i purchased them from ddmtuning and only paid 40 dollars total for the kit and have not once ever had an altercation with a police officer though i have been pulled over numerous times for my tinted license plate cover. rule of thumb is to aim your headlights a few cm's lower in order to avoid washout from the light.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

A projector lens engineered for a halogen bulb can not and will not focus properly if you use that projector lens with a HID conversion. It is illegal (but your chance of getting caught is close to zero). But a dealer doing such a conversion could get in trouble. There is a big difference between a halogen projector lens fixture and a HID projection lens fixture. Typically, the HID units cost a lot more. A converted unit cannot and will not meet either EU or SAE lighting standards. Read Dan Stern's article. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Last edited by feirstein; 04-30-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: upgraded bulbs