Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

upgraded bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM
4th Gear

yea i understand the article that danstern posted. Im very familiar with danny boy and his articles . . but notice his article keeps on saying a sealed beam capsule which is different then our projector. The only difference in projectors from hid to non is the size of the lens and the angle of the parabola. What im stating is in our cars an aftermarket hid kit will not blind anyone! ITs prefectly okay to do and they arent going to run out in 2 weeks as long as u dont go the route of fleabay! And ive asked numberous cops about the lights and none have ever asked me to remove.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

His article did post three reports done by a US agency that demonstrated that all three HID kits tested were illegal because the light output was too blue, (did not meet the regulatory definition of white), and did not focus or distribute the light output properly. They were not sealed beam fixtures but conventional halogen bulb fixtures into which several aftermarket HID kits were installed.

His article did not post a test of any tested halogen projector fixtures. But it did accurately state that putting an aftermarket HID kit into a halogen projector fixture will not and cannot meet legal lighting requirements because it cannot distribute the light where the regulations require it to be distributed. This is true even if the end user subjectively is pleased with the results and it is true even if other drivers are not objecting to excessive glare. The ability to see at a distance in the dark, during the rain, fog and snow, can be seriously comprised with the use of an illegal HID conversion kit. Neither I nor Mr. Stern are telling anyone what to do. I just hope that objective facts and logic pull decision making away from using such illegal HID conversion kits.

Last edited by feirstein; 05-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 PM
4th Gear

now u say that hid kits emmit light that is too blue and thus dampens the light output and affect drivers saftey. A simple way to avoid that is to not purchase some crazy high kelvin temp. Stay under 6000k and all is fine.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Please note that although the tested bulbs were illegal because they did not meet a regulatory definition of "white", the test did not say the bulbs were not bright enough. But yes, if you purchase a non-counterfeit bulb from a reliable source made by a name brand vender, and avoid high color temperatures you will get a bulb that puts out a legal color. Many kits are supplied with bulbs from questionable sources, are not from name brand venders and many have been counterfeit copies of name brand bulbs, all of very poor quality. Again, all reliable venders of HID bulbs and fixtures have gotten out of the retrofit kit business because such retrofit kits did not and could not meet any of the reasonable regulatory standards, either DOT or EU. Those are the facts.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

well the company i bought from is still in buisness and selling kits. And are most of the other companies that a getting referred by the forums. And i understand the facts but im stating that with using a bit of your brain and not getting all ghetto crazy u can do a aftermarket kit without runing into any problems from the law or the oncoming drivers. Again ive been driving around with a aftermarket kit for over 5 years now and have yet had any problems with visibility or cops or oncoming drivers. LIke i said before aim the bulbs correctly dont get over 6000k and dont get 55 watt bulbs in fog housings.