General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

01 A4 B6- replacement driver door- advice needed!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
1st Gear
Default 01 A4 B6- replacement driver door- advice needed!!!

Hi there, new member and new to forums generally but would really appreciate some advice. As you'll gather from my post, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to mechanics/ repairs etc. All I know is that I love my old A4 and want it back on the road!!!

After an unfortuante event with a milk tanker last year (yes I came off worse) the driver door was severely gashed and the car subsequently written off. The only real damage is to the outer panel- window, electrics, handle etc are still fine. After finally getting paid out by my insurance company, I'm looking to get the door fixed and back on the road.

The local mechanic has suggested that the easiest option would be to find a complete door assembly (wiring, window, locks etc) making it easier to replace. The only problem is, I'm struggling to source a complete door- they all seem to be stripped down already and I resent paying out for all the other bits of the door which are perfectly fine in my exising door.

I guess my question is, is it possible to replace just the outer panel? Or if I did buy an empty shell of a door, how much work would be involved in transferring all the bits over.

My car has been off the road for 6 months now, and have been forced to buy a cheap Mondeo to keep me mobile. Desperately want my A4 back- just moved to a village in Scotland and the local, traffic free, winding country roads are just crying out to be driven on properly. Hope someone can help give me some advice.

Much appreciated- sadly I have not been blessed with man skills such as understanding cars, DIY, sport etc.