General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1.8t b5 knocking....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Default 1.8t b5 knocking....

Hi all, my first post here Did a few searches but thought best to post my exact info with a vid.

I picked up a 2000 1.8t today, 129 on the clock, best I could find in my area on a B5 that wasn't battered.

Inspected the car, checked for various things that I was told to look out for, the test drive was fine, no issues at all, drove nice and pulled well.

Got about 15 mins into my 1 hour drive home on the motorway when I heard a little clicking noise when holding the gas at a constant speed, if I let off the accelerator the clicking disappeared or if I put my foot right down it disappeared too. Decided to pull over and check it out with Vagcom and it was showing, the Knock sensor signal too high fault code. Decided to proceed home and to look into this further.

Got back on the motorway and within 10-15 mins it was a lot worse the knocking sound was happening no matter what speed, revs and also did it on idle once I'd pulled over. It is a slow kind of knocking sound not a fast click, and is quite loud.

Here's a video.

Any help would be muchly appreciated, I did a few searches but can only really find videos and info on what sounds nothing like this knocking.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

its your main bearing my friend i just herd the same noise two days ago id bet money on it and you can get them on parts geek for about 60-90

Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

Dude you spun a bearing there You need to rebuild that engine.

Ouch dude that sucks alot.

You gotta figure out why it failed now.

I bet the previous owner ran it low on oil and probably decided to sell because it was knocking like that.

You may want to look into just doing an engine swap, and rebuild that one in your spare time. Reason I suggest this is because some engine companies have a warranty on their used engines. Replacing bearings isnt a simple task for a beginner alot can go wrong and you need a nice clean place to work on your car. The cost interms of tools, parts and space to do the job will be more than a good running used engine, plus you get a back up motor out of the deal.

Dont get the engine off ebay, get one that gives you a warranty, most guys say 60days but you can find some with longer warranties.

The more you drive that car is the more damage it will do and it can become so bad that you have a catastropic engine failure such as a broken block, or bent/ broken crank or con rod.

Last edited by 3star2nr; 11-27-2012 at 02:38 AM.