General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 A4 Coolant Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:07 PM
1st Gear
Default 1997 A4 Coolant Problem..

seems like people know your stuff. Im challenging someone to please diagnose this problem for me:

In August, my 1997 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AFC produced a coolant leak and an overheating problem. The leak was noticed by me as coolant was on ground and low in reservoir. As the leak became more severe, my car began overheating. I took it into a dealer, Trip # 1, and they told me just could be a cracked hose, cracked reservoir, cracked cap. I noticed whitish smoke and such burning from exhuast; possible head gasket i thought. They ignored this, "fixed" 1 hose from reservoir and changed plug underneath car, filled me up with flourescent fluid and told me to drive it for a few days and return for them to look at under blacklight. Days later, car overheated, coolant leaking and low. Trip # 2 to dealer consisted of them saying I needed to replace a Freez Plug located in back of car, requiring $$$ and transmission to be removed. They said they did not see the problem, but suspected it. As they car was being fixed, i got a call telling me i needed motor mounts; i got them replaced. I picked my car up a day later, drove 5 minutes, and car was overheating again! I turned around, left car at dealer(TRIP # 3). Was then told 1 day later car needed a new thermostat, more $$$. Took car home few days later. 5 or so days later, the car began to shake and overheat again. I also noticed a slip in gears(high revs @ about 3000 and wouldnt kick into gear). I took it back to delaer(TRIP # 4) and was told of a "bubble in the system". I did not mention tranny. They took 2 hours, topped off my coolant, and told me everything was fine. 4 days later, i blew a headgasket( i knew this because i took it to another dealer, and they diagnosed this). 2 headgaskets were replaced, as well as an oil and coolant change. Was told everything was fine. I drove 5 minutes out of lot and the car was overheatign again!. I was told by this dealer it was a "bubble in the system" and was topped off. I drove 2 hours and the coolant light flashed again.... coolant was low. Dealer agaiun told me to add more coolant, could have been a big air pocket. Drove 2 hours again, lgiht came on again. I currently do not notice any under-car leaks, however, coolant in reservoir is low and light is on. No leaks noticed in any area i can see from above the engine. Only noticable problem is a watery like leak on the passenger side of car after long drive, also, i opend the oil reservoir and noticed yellow-gumpy like oil after a long drive, oil stick showed normal levels. WHAT is going on here????

Old 11-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Default RE: 1997 A4 Coolant Problem..

the water on the passenger side indicates to me that it's just water that has recondensed on the outside of your ac condensor, and nothing to worry about. i have the same thing on my car

while it's dripping fast put a peice of white paper under the car to absorb the liquid, inspect the color. if it's orange or yellow it's coolant, if it's red it's transy fluid, if it's a thick black or brown it's oil, and if it's more of thinish black it's hydraulic fluid. if it has no color at all it's water, and you are safe.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:14 PM
2nd Gear

The yellow gumpy as you call it is coolant/water in the oil. Condensation can build up in the oil from not every allowing the motor to get fully warm before shutting it down and cooling off. What you describe sounds like the coolant is leaking into the oil. The head/heads could be warped from overheating causing the head gaskets to blow almost instantly after replacing them. The block or head could be cracked also causing an internal coolant leak. If you are allowing enough time for the motor to warm up before shutting it off coolant is the reason for the oil to appear milky. The car can also overheat from a blown head gasket, so it sounds to me like you still have a head gasket problem. Does there appear to be oil in the coolant?

Old 11-28-2006, 03:30 AM
1st Gear

As far as the liquid dripping from the passanger side, it is just water. The oil reservoir has a yellow, milky substance. I just had 2 heads replaced, and the mechanic suspected a cracked head, so while the engine was open, he checked for warps and cracks in the head....nothing found. I assume as you are saying that the water/coolant is mixing with the oil, however, is there any other place for this to happen in the system???

Old 11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear

A crack in the block could also allow coolant into the oil.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:23 PM

how did he tell if the heads/block were cracked or not? did he magnaflux them? straight edge and clearance on block?

Old 11-29-2006, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

I got to go with Tractioncontrol, it sounds like you have a warped head. There is only a few reasons for Mocha colored oil (in order of severity) condensation, blown head gasket, warped head, Cracked head, or cracked block. So if it still prosiest after all has been check and or fixed then sorry man you are SOL

Old 11-30-2006, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Ill have to call them and see if he did those tests or not....

A new development; my coolant is in the reservoir but the car is overheating and the coolant ligh comes on after 5 or so minutes. I'm assuming all could be related... would that point this problem in more of a direction ie cracked head vs blown head gasket vs hose block

Also, with this new problem, when the car idles, it shakes....

Old 11-30-2006, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear

Also, with this new problem, when the car idles, it shakes....
Probably also caused by the head gasket issue. It's probably misfiring because of the plugs fowling due to coolant leaking into the cylinder/cylinders.