General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 A6 turns over but doesnt start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
1st Gear
Default 1997 A6 turns over but doesnt start

Well i should have known not to mess with this but i ordered one of those 30dollar modules off ebay to see if it actually worked, i firgured id give it a shot and it arrived within a couple of days.. so i grabbed the instructions and put it in as they said. The car ran for a little bit but didnt do anything, i reverse the setup cause they said if it didnt work to reverse it and reset it.. i turn the key and its just turning over.. i just get rid of the module completely, bringing it back tot he stock setup and same thing.. every once in a while it tries to start.. and if i pull the intake tube off of the little black piece on the engine that it connects too and spray starting fluid in there it sputters a little.. so i know im getting spark. i checked my fuel line and its plenty of pressure and gas and whatnot.. so im thinking one of my air valves isnt working.. but then why is it trying and sputtering a little bit with starting fluid or if i try it a bunch every once in a while it sputters a little but no starting.. its a 2.8L BTW.. I have been working with cars for a while but im kinda stumped on this one.. I read somewhere the IAC valve might have something to do with it but i dont really know.. they looked pretty pricey as well..

Let me know if you have any ideas because i sure dont

and i dont really want to take it too a mechanic but if i have too i guess i will.. or get it towed there anyway

Thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1997 A6 turns over but doesnt start

where did the module get connected to...?

and what was it supposively supposed to do...?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1997 A6 turns over but doesnt start

The module got connected to the mass air flow meter right in between the air filter and the tube going to the intake.. there were three wires and the directions were very vague (it said use the brightest wire.. so i was like wow) anyway the green one didnt work then the green with black stripe didnt work, so i did the brown with red stripe, and with the brown with red stripe it refused to start and it screwed everything up..

Supposedly computes air more accurately but i believe it just somehow tells the ECU less air is getting to the engine than what really is so it trys to boost that up or cut fuel out to lean the mixure.. so i dunno..

Im having an interface cable come in this week and i have downloaded vag com onto my laptop so i guess im getting the diagnostics then hopefuly..

today i tried resetting my ecu with some suggested way of unplugging the battery for 2 hours with the key on.. didnt help.. it sputter a bit at first try but thats it..

Hopefully its a cheap fix..

the company of the module did offer me a full refund if i decide i dont want it lol..

from reading it looks like it could have messed up wither the mass airflow sensor or some other module that it is wired up too.. i dont recall what that was.. MFA maybe?? i couldnt tell you.. but i tried just disconnecting the mass airflow sensor.. no result..

Again hopefully its something i can just reset or fix for cheap..

this module was a bad choice