General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AVK 3.0 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Default AVK 3.0 Engine Swap

Does anyone know if an Audi 3.0 (AVK code) engine from an A6 (c5) with a CVT, will bolt into an A6 Avant (also a C5 and also had the same AVK 3.0 liter)? My situation is that I have a 2002 A6 that's been sitting in my driveway for the past 6 years with 70k on it and bad cvt trans. I've recently come across a really nice Quattro A6 Avant whose owner broke his timing belt at freeway speeds. I'd like to swap my relatively low mileage engine into the Avant and have a sound running car. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I understand there is a potential issue with motors out of cvt vehicles, due to the size of the crankshaft end. The Avant has an FEJ code automatic Quattro trans. Just trying not to end up with two non- running Audis in my driveway. Thanks

Last edited by roomforelvis; 07-27-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:33 AM
2nd Gear

Compare the Transmission Code with yours. If they are the same, you should be good to go with a swap. The Transmission Code should be listed with the engine code on the build sticker in the owners manual and the one located in the spare tire well. It should be located next to the AVK code.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dave944
Compare the Transmission Code with yours. If they are the same, you should be good to go with a swap. The Transmission Code should be listed with the engine code on the build sticker in the owners manual and the one located in the spare tire well. It should be located next to the AVK code.
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify . . . .the transmission codes are indeed different, as the donor engine was previously matched to a CVT transmission. Manual and CVT vehicles have different crankshaft ends than the crankshaft ends found in motors paired with Triptronic transmissions. I am wondering if an AVK code engine previously paired with a CVT vehicle can be installed into a vehicle that previously had an AVK engine, but with a Quattro Triptronic transmission. I think it is a matter of pressing a spigot bearing out of the end of the crankshaft previously paired with a CVT transmission, but wish to confirm this with someone, so I don't wind up with two non- operational vehicles.