General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2.8 Big problem, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.8 Big problem, need help!

allright, so I have a 99' Avant Quattro with the 2.8. I bought the car after the timing belt was bad, so I just got finished replacing the timing belt using all the proper tools and techniques.. I had the valve covers off and checked the movement of all the valves thru multiple revolutions to make sure they werent damaged and got everything aligned as I put it back together and when the time came to start.... nothing... The engine codes were all cleared prior to starting using a VAG-COM and the throttle body was aligned.

Here is my problem: Zero compression on ALL cylinders. The compression tester is new and doesnt even register the slightest amount of compression.

There is no noises indicating valve damage, there IS spark and there IS fuel.

Any ideas no matter how crazy they sound would be nice.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 PM

it sounds to me like you put the timing belt on a few notches off. causing the valves to open at the wrong time therefore not allowing any compresion.

btw do you have any pictures of ur old vs new timing belt. i wanna get an idea of what it would look like when its worn because idk if its been changed in my 2.8
i looked at it the other day and it looks in great condition (im pretty sure it was changed) but i just wanna have something to compare it to.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mexican47
it sounds to me like you put the timing belt on a few notches off. causing the valves to open at the wrong time therefore not allowing any compresion.

btw do you have any pictures of ur old vs new timing belt. i wanna get an idea of what it would look like when its worn because idk if its been changed in my 2.8
i looked at it the other day and it looks in great condition (im pretty sure it was changed) but i just wanna have something to compare it to.
Yeah, that is one thing I was hoping- but its practically impossible. I used the cam lock tool and the crank pin, the mark was at TDC on the harmonic balancer and the bottom timing belt cover. I cant really think of any way that it could be off enough.

As for the old belt, I threw it away all ready- but mine felt more like plastic than rubber and you could see obvious cracking in the valley of each tooth. From what I have learned so far, I would go ahead and get it changed if you are not sure- better safe than sorry. They are a pain. It really depends on how long you have owned the car. Belts can go bad depending on age or miles, as they both have a factor on how long one will last. If you wonder, maybe take a picture and post it on here to see what everyone thinks...

Old 11-06-2008, 09:43 PM

damn! thats the only thing i can think of right now... idk man!

and about the TB, i've only had it for about 7months (3rd owner bought it at 99k)and the guy before me (2nd bought it at 90k) only had it for a year and he told me he didnt know if it was changed. so it makes sense that the 1st owner would've changed it at 75k like he was supposed to. but thats a great idea, i will take a pic and maybe even you could take a look at it.
thanks.
and hopefully you'l get ur problem solved too

Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

yeah man, I am probably screwed but I will figure it out....

let me know if you post it and I will tell you what I think, but your best bet is to feel if its brittle at all or see if its loose at all. As they get older they will stretch a little but the tensioner will take most of that. Just see if its brittle or is cracking or fraying at all. If not then you should be good for a while.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:55 PM

alright i'll do that, thanks!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

Ok, I took the intake manifold off and all the exhaust valves are bent... anybody know the cost to get new valves put in if I brought the heads to a shop?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

okay... here we go.. is the 2.8 an interference head? if so.. and the belt went bad.. then you probably did bend all the valves.. just because you lined it up and there is no noise doesnt mean you havent already bent the valves. if you were out of time and there was piston to valve collision then you will only here the smash or bang or whatever once.. then the noise will not happen again.. then if you line the timing marks up after this there is even a less chance of hearing anything.. again... the cams are not moving if the belt is off when you crank the engine.. just flywheel and crankshaft spinning.. if valves are done bent then no noise and no compression period.. and the valves and pistons didnt hit or make noise when it was in time and the belt was good.. why would they make noise now if bent and slightly shorter than before??

Old 11-09-2008, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by cdemp
Ok, I took the intake manifold off and all the exhaust valves are bent... anybody know the cost to get new valves put in if I brought the heads to a shop?
damn that really sucks dude. thankfully i've never dealt with anything like this so i have no clue how much it would cost.
did you check the pistons and intake valves to make sure they weren't damaged either??

Old 11-09-2008, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear

and how do you know with the intake off that all the exhaust valves are bent?? id think you would only be able to see the intake valves...

Quick Reply: 2.8 Big problem, need help!