General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 A4 1.8t missfire after water pump replacement "NEED HELP"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:53 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A4 1.8t missfire after water pump replacement "NEED HELP"

I purchased the car off of a guy a few days ago... The car didn't run.. The guy had done a water pump job on it and after that he claimed he messed up the timing.. Well I get it home and go about retiming the motor.. And all that fun stuff... Well I got the car started but it runs like ****... Cylinders 2 and 3 are misfiring.. I went about replacing coil packs. Spark plugs, check valves, cam position sensor.. Cleaned maf sensor.. And throttle body.. I also replaced the entire coil pack harness.. After all this the car ran good for about 2 mins.. Than it went back to idling rough and acting like its going to die... And I hear a rattling when it acts like it is dying.. Than it eventually would die if I let it. Does anyone have any ideas as whaty next steps are? There isn't a Audi dealer near me in a 50 mile radius.. I could really use some help and guidance.. This is my first Audi . thans guys

Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 AM
2nd Gear

Disconnect the battery. Let it sit a few hours. Reconnect the battery. Turn the key on but DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START the engine. Let the switch sit in the ON position for a minute or so. THEN start the engine. This will reset the ECU and should clear out any trash data that may have been causing it to run crappy.

Since you said it ran fine there for a few minutes, it doesn't sound like there was any valve train damage.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Thank you for the feedback! I am doing this now. If this doesn't work do you have any other suggestions?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

Punt? LOL.. Nahh.. If that doesn't work, I'd keep it running for a few minutes and pull the OBD codes off the ECU and go from there.