General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0L Power Steering Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0L Power Steering Rack?

Just purchased my car a few weeks back, had the check engine light and was told it was just the o2 sensor which wasn't a huge deal. I took it to a shop and had them do a full inspection of the car (not sure how trust worthy the shop is, or if they just want the money). They said the o2 sensor needed replaced, and I had some misfire codes as well. Another thing they mentioned was there was some metal shavings in the power steering fluid which according to them meant my power steering rack needed to be replaced eventually (sooner than later). Not sure how common this problem is, how much I really need to worry about it, or how minimal the issue is right now that it still could take another couple years to even get worse? They said the part alone from their estimate was about $900 and labor would take a few hours. Does anyone have any advice on this, how much I need to worry about it at the moment? I am in college so the budget is tight and I am already having to spend several hundred to get the o2 sensor and misfire taken care of as well. Any help is appreciated.