General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 A6 won't start after heating up from cold start

Old 10-27-2015, 02:56 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A6 won't start after heating up from cold start

Hello All,

A new problem has just come up with my 2004 A6 3.0. From a cold start it starts up just fine. I get the message on my dashboard that tells me to put my foot on the break while selecting gears and the little foot on break icon lights up down by my gear handle. No error messages or anything else on the dashboard.

After driving for 20 minutes and turning off car, I come back to the car in 6 minutes to start it and it won't start. It doesn't even try it goes directly over to battery power. In park or in neutral the little foot on break icon is not lite up. After sitting in the car for maybe 10 minutes with battery power the foot on break icon lights up and I am able to start the car.

Took it to a shop and the only code that popped up was P0571 which was the break switch. They replaced it but it didn't fix the problem and there are no more codes to scan. Has this happened to anyone else? Have no idea what is wrong.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear

Try this. Disconnect both leads to the battery (be sure to have the radio code just in case you have to re-enter the code to make it work). Touch the two battery leads together (again, DISCONNECT both from the battery before doing this) for a few seconds to drain any power storage capacitors and the ECU's memory. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Reconnect the battery. Turn the ignition to the "ON" position but DO NOT try to crank the car. Wait 10 or 15 seconds with the switch in that position. THEN turn the key to crank the car. It may stumble and you may have to use the gas pedal to keep it going for a few seconds. It then should pick up and run as normal. This procedure will clear any codes from the ECU and totally reset it so it won't remember any crazyness from the past.....