S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Car won't idle after day of sitting in freezing cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Car won't idle after day of sitting in freezing cold

HI I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

My car has been running great, and it was last driven two days ago with no issues.
I just went to start it and it starts up just fine, but dies immediately and does not idle if i don't touch the gas.
If i gas it past 3000 rpms it sounds fine, but as soon as i let off the gas it dies. Basically under 2000 rpm it dies.

While I was gassing it i heard some noises from the engine like fluids slushing around (bad fuel pump?)
On one of the first attempts when the car died i heard the sound of a fuel pump being primed. I was able to start it every time even after it shuts down, so i don't think it got flooded at any point. I wonder if it's my fuel pump or fuel sensor preventing fuel being supplied at idle.

We had some really cold weather here in the last couple of days, single digits even falling into the negatives, i wonder if that could have messed up a fuel sensor or a fuel pump.

I do have a CEL on and last time i checked it was just a short to ground for an O2 heater circuit, i very much doubt that it has anything to do with it since i've been running it with the CEL for quite a long time now.