General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

88 quattro 90

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:30 AM
Default 88 quattro 90

i just purchased my first audi and i love it but i do have one problem with the car my blower moter makes funny noise and i was wondering if anybody knows where and how easy it is to change it also only high on the fan works what would that be . any help would be great thanks

Old 11-14-2005, 08:20 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 88 quattro 90

You may have foreign material stuck in the blower's squirrel cage. (Been there, done that, after a free-and-worth-every-penny 2-year service at a VW dealership. A plastic cabin air filter clip fell down the plenum and ended up in my fan.) You need to pull the glovebox and then the fan itself; it took me about an hour, working slowly and deliberately, first time through.

The lower speeds are generally derived by interposing resistive wire in circuit with the motor. If one of these wires breaks, you lose some or all of the lower fan speeds. (Been there, done that with my 1973 Chevelle. Its motor speed wires were readily accessible and easily replaced or jumpered.)