General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

8k & clutch failed...dual mass flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default 8k & clutch failed...dual mass flywheel?

I,m seriously physically ill. I put a clutch kit(OEM/Luk). in my a6 2.7t about 8k miles ago & just crapped out.
I bought the car in Jan 06', it had 62k miles. I drove it for about 1k & the clutch plate came apart...of course, I blamed it
on the previous owner.
I thought that way too soon & had to be due to driving habits. (I had a BMW 86' 635csi 5spd 125k - 225k & never replaced
or had any clutch issues). Anyway....
I worked as a BMW tech for a number of years so I went ahead & did the job myself, it was a quite an experience under
jackstands. It went well though & the car seemed to be fine until last night. What the hell? Could it be the flywheel? All I
checked was the surface & was fine. Is it a dual mass fw? Would that be a probable cause? Any techs see this problem
before? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 8k & clutch failed...dual mass flywheel?

Never seen anything like that. How did the splines on the input shaft look? Maybe the clutch disks are haning up on the input shaft. I cant imagine anything with the flywheel could cause that quick of a failure unless there was some visable damage to the flywheel, like a groove or something. Did you replace the pressure plate and throwout bearing as well? If not it could be the cause. The only other thing i could think of is the master or slave hanging up, but ive never seen either of those fail in that manner before.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 8k & clutch failed...dual mass flywheel?

hah, this is way over due, I havent visited the forum in a long time & I though I'd follow up......It was the dual mass FW. The internal springs were ruined, it had zero rebound, I replaced it with an aluminum single mass Fidanza ($325 & a beautiful piece) an RS4 pressure plate, disc, T/O & pilot bearings. While I was in it I ported the exhaust manifolds, gutted the pre-cats, rebuilt the turbos, changed the timing belt, replaced the cam seals, valve cover gaskets & other small maintenance items. I had to have the 6 spd tranny rebuilt, I'm attributing it to the flywheel. $3,000.00 worth of synchros & gears were ruined. Its a different animal now.