General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 A6 Top End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 97 A6 Top End Rebuild

Hi all.
Just bought my second Audi. My first was an 93 80 avant 1.9tdi which I sold in 08.
The new ride is a 97 A6 12v quattro, leather / electric everything, with a pretty clean body for..........$500! The body and tranny have 180k on them and the motor had around 65k. The down side is that it got boiled up. From the story though it wasn't for too long, but long enough to blow the head gaskets. There had been a new rad and water pump fitted by the previous owner before he realised the head gaskets were gone.
So I have a new complete top end gasket set, head bolt set and timing belt kit coming. Are their any other parts, besides filters, plugs, ht leads etc like other torque to yield bolts that I'm going to need.
Thank you for all your help to others in the past on here, which I have been pawing over, and thank you thank you for any help you my give to me.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Ok, so no replies do far. Well I'll keep adding what I'm getting and how I'm doing so that maybe it'll help someone else down the line.
So, I now have the above parts and am now ordering
Timing tool kit
castrol edge titanium with filter
G12 coolant
Bosch spark plugs
Air filter
power steering fluid chf11s
Tranny oil/filter/gasket kit
thermostat failsafe type and seal
Brake pads and rotors. I'm only getting the rotors if the ones on the car didn't have enough left on them for me to reface them.
Does anyone have any other parts that you would suggest me looking at while I'm changing all this other stuff.
Also everyone seems to just order from shokan and blauparts. Most of the stuff above is cheaper at Amazon.com or rockauto.com. Some of this is also coming from eBay and advance auto, Napa, and blauparts. Shop around people, you will get the same parts cheaper if you do.
If I'm asked, I'll also post prices and brands with delivery on all I get.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Well I'm board so I'll put a list up anyway as I buy stuff. If no shipping is shown, then no shipping was paid.
1. Victor reinz cylinder gasket set $124.52 (Amazon)
2. Victor reinz cylinder head bolts 16 $34.10 (Amazon)
3. Gates timing belt kit $84.88 (Amazon)
4. Mayle transmission filter kit $25.61 (eBay)
5. Polydrive tool for head bolts $13.99 (eBay)
6. K&N style air filter $19.99 + $10 p&p (eBay)
7. Pittsburgh transfer pump for transmission oil change $8.99 (Harbor freight)

Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

8. Timing cam bar and crank pin $64.99 + $18.45 s&h (eBay)
9. Castrol edge syntec and Bosch filter $30.99 (Advanced auto)
10. Bosch x4 platinum spark plugs. X6 $25.50 inc s&h (rockauto)
11. Dayco serpentine belt $23.90 inc s&h (rockauto)
12. Bosch water pump $57.76 (Amazon)
13. Motorad failsafe thermostat $8.43 (Amazon)

Last edited by Brityank; 02-23-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Administrator

I don't see the tensioner roller and hydraulic tensioner listed for the timing job - they're the most important parts of doing the timing. You should also order a new snub mount (pretty sure the A6 uses one) since they're cheap and having the front end off the car is pretty much the only way to change it on a V6. I know of no other torque-to-yield bolts that you'll run into besides the head bolts so you should be good there.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Devil. The tensioner roller is in the timing belt kit with the idler, belt and cam seals. I'll price the other parts up now.
I've been lucky when it comes to the coolant and tranny fluid. My work has a few hundred gallons of dextron3 on hand at all times and got chevron delo coolant. Silicate and nitrate free AND it's pink!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

Hmm I have just been on blauparts and Amazon and cannot find snub mounts or hydraulic tensioners. The only thing that came up different with the tensioner search was a bushing with a kind of hook on it? Can you point me in the right direction on these parts please?

Ok sorry, just went on eBay and found out what the snub mount is and what it looks like. Also found the hydraulic tensioner. Rockauto have it as a timing dampener. Dayco call it a hydraulic timing belt actuator. Time to do some cross referencing.

Last edited by Brityank; 02-23-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

14. Front engine mount bushing (snub mount) $11.95 + $8.48 s&h (rockauto)
15. Hydraulic timing belt actuator $44.95 (eBay)

Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Administrator

I'm a fan of rockauto, but I'm not sure I'd trust an eBay tensioner. There's so much low-quality car crap there (like the POS Chinese-made turbos) that I wouldn't trust such a critical part from there.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 AM
1st Gear

I have to admit, I have gone againt everthing I have done so far with this parts gathering exercise. I had been looking for the best price on mostly quality German products and yet when it came to this critical part......I skimped. Within an hour of doing this I was having second thoughts, you just helped hammer it home. SO I just ordered Flennor (German) hydraulic tensioner from Rockauto for $63.04 delivered. Going to send the other one straight back when it turns. My mind is now at pease.

Quick Reply: 97 A6 Top End Rebuild