General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 ELCTRIC WINDOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Default A4 ELCTRIC WINDOW!!

IVE GOT AN AUDI A4 AND MY ELECTRIC WINDOW ON MY DRIVERS SIDE MADE A RATHER LOUND NOISE AND THEN THE GLASS DROPPED DOWN. I OPENED UP THE WINDOW TO FIND A "GREEN" PLASTIC CLIP HAS SHATTERED INTO A MILLION PIECES SO IVE HAD TO PROP UP MY WINDOW WITH A STICK!! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE REGULATOR AS ITS STILL DRIVING BUT I CANT GET HOLD OF THIS SILLY LITTLE CLIP ANYWHERE!! PLEASE HELP!!! MY EMAIL ADDRESS IF YOU WANT TO GET IN CONTACT WITH ME IS marklongy@hotmail.com I THINK ITS A 2001 A4 THANKS ANY HELP GREATLY APPRICATED

Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A4 ELCTRIC WINDOW!!

shokan.com they are an audi only used & new parts supplier.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 PM

I have the exact same problem on 2 windows in my car!!! any luck locating that clip? I ended up buying a regulator just to steal the clip off of it.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 PM

Happened to me the day after I bought my 97 a4. It's quite an ordeal, but not impossible. First if you are waiting for parts, I pulled the window up closed and held it with duct tape over the top of the door (covering the rubber and paint with a plastic bag so the tape only touches the glass, you'll have to clean it later, but it'll hold up the window for driving around town. Readjust it everyday, you don't want to break your window.

Then I went to an online auto parts store, search the forum for anyone's favorite, or google it. And find the window regulator you need (which side), and you have to buy the whole thing, the green part broke, but it's a whole kit. You'll need: phillips screwdriver, two torx bits (I think it's a 35 and a smaller one around 12-20 for the motor), a rivet gun and large rivets or washers with smaller ones.
The process may be different for your 2001, but my 97 went like this. Disassemble the door (undo all the screws, don't force anything, I broke some stuff forcing it. lift the door up until a cable catches and undo the handle pull, set the panel on the ground and disattach all the switches, REMEMBER WHERE THEY GO! or you'll have the wrong actions with buttons. now you can see the four torx bolts holding the door frame in the bodywork, if you undo those you can see the rivets holding on the regulator. Undo the motor and set it aside, undo the clamps on the glass and put it in a safe place. drill out the rivets with a small drill then get larger bits until the rivets fall out. There were 8 I think. Then disattach the old regulator and rivet on the new one, make sure they are all secure, you don't want this flopping around. If you screw up, drill it out or use pliers to squeese them till you can pull it out. put the glass back in the clamps, reassemble the door and make sure it's true in the frame or your car will whistle at freeway speed. Good as new (well, my motor stripped out it's mounting screws recently so i'm having that trouble, so make sure they're really tight. A bit of loctight might work).

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

I have different problem... My window rolled down then made a weird crunching noise... I pulled off the panel and saw that the cables had came unwound from the spool... Is there anyway to rewind them back on... can I just buy that part?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
s_b

Nayaudi, you're window regulator just took a crash, replace it and it'll all be fine.

Marklongy, contact any Audi dealership with your VIN and ask for "window guides" that what we call them where I work so i'm sure you'll get a price quote without a problem.