General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 niggles

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:15 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 niggles

Today I bought my first Audi, a 95 N plate A4, and I've noticed one or two little peculiarities while and since driving it back home. Can you help?......

1) On the motorway, 5th gear @ about 3000rpm it starts puffing out varying amounts of black smoke while going uphill.... level ground and downhill no smoke at all. The engine sounds to be running sweetly, no noticeable drop in power; could it be clogged injectors? I've put some injector cleaner in there to see if that helps.

2) At slow/urban speeds theres a distict tapping/knocking sensation in the clutch pedal, even when out of gear (didn't notice it during test drive, was too busy not being turned into mincemeat by the greater manchester traffic) something knocking on the clutch cable? I have no idea...

3) When parked, occasionally I can hear a strange,short whirring/groaning sound that just seems to occur at random intervals for half an hour or so after stopping. I hear a similar noise come from the rear of the car when activating the central locking. Wierd!

Hope you guys can help!

Old 10-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: A4 niggles

NIGGLE PLEASE!!! (sorry, I cudn't resist)

1) I'll hafta think on that one, fora minit..

2) Check the fluid level in your power-steering resouvoir (sic). I know, it sounds retarded, but, most german cars use the p/s res is tied to the hydraulic clutch fluid. If that doesn't solve it, it's your throw-out bearing.

3) You've got the 6-disc CD, trunk-mounted changer, don't you I'ts the mota for the changer moving the appropriate disc down into the player. When you trun oyur car off it puts the disc back in the cartridge

Old 10-21-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

The CD player is not the standard one, if the 6 cd changer is still in the boot, I don't have a four-by-scoobydoo where it is! lol

Will check the fluid level, thanks

Old 10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: megawatt_inferno

The CD player is not the standard one, if the 6 cd changer is still in the boot, I don't have a four-by-scoobydoo where it is! lol

Will check the fluid level, thanks

If it's still in teh boot it'd be along the left-hand side, as you look at it, behind a panel, just a bit behind the wheel arch...

Old 10-22-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Oooo! Righty! Will look!

Cheers

Old 10-24-2006, 09:55 PM
1st Gear

Any more suggestions on the uphill smoking business? Someone said today that theres some kind of fuel regulator which is prone to playing up on A4's, resulting in black smoke... does this ring any bells?