General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A4 - rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Default A4 - rear brakes

I posted this on the A4 forum but got no response. Can anyone help?
Hi all,
I have a 2000 A4 2.8L 30V Quattro that needs rear brakes. I recently bought some new rotors that happen to have an integrated hub. When I took off the rear tire I was surprised to find that the existing rotor did not have this integrated hub. Three questions:

1. Can I use the rotors with the integrated hub on my car by simply removing the existing hub?

2. Is there any special trick to removing this other than having the ~1/2" allen?

3. If the answer to number 1 is "no", does anyone know of a good source for rotors that do not have the hub built in?

Thanks for any insight any of you might have.

--EW

P.S. I searched the archives and found nothing on this.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A4 - rear brakes

Well just so you don't feel like no one responded...

I don't have a clue what you are talking about. (In the sense that I really don't know what you are saying but maybe that is because I just replaced with oem parts and never saw this integrated hub or maybe I have the integrated hub and just don't get what you are calling integrated.)

So maybe it is best to find some dealer with out the integrated hub rotor. There are some online dealers, blauparts.com and shokan.com that i like. Are your current rotors/ new rotors original? Or rather which ones are original equipment? Are you upgrading to a slotted rotor or bigger rotor or something? My manual really has no clue what you are talking about either.

Hmm, come to think of it, my rotor is different from other cars I have worked on, is that what you mean?
But no, a quick internet search revealed that A4 rotors and hubs are separate entitities. Even Brembo aftermarket rotors were separate. So sorry, I would guess no one is responding because no one has a clue.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

these rotors u baught are probally not specific for your car, if they are, then i suggest you return them, if possible, and buy some better known brand rotors, the hub and rotor shuld probally be seperate, seeeing how tahts how it is stock..

sorry for the bad news but thats my only solution

Old 08-30-2005, 05:01 PM

ECSTuning.Com and NAMORTORSPROTS.COM all have Brembo/Zimmerman rotors. If you are not looking to spend 1500-3000 for a big brake kit get some regualr/x-drilled-slots rotors from brembo or zimmerman.

In order to get the hub off you have to take off the whole upright and press it out...

ditch those integrated hub rotors and get some A4 specifics!

Old 08-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the information guys. BTW, the rotors I have are Zimmerman. Maybe just got wrong part number or something.

Cheers.

--EW