General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A6 engine cranks but don't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 engine cranks but don't start

engine cranks but don't start
I guys,

I have an AUDI A6 2.5TDI, 99, and i have this problem,there is a strange thing happening, when I try to start the car, the engine cranks but don't start and the traction control light is on. Normaly, when I switch the ignition on , all the panel lights turn on and then switch off and the engine starts. Now, with mine, i switch the ignition on, all the panel lights turn on and then all turn off, but the traction control light turns on again and the engine won't start. I try a few more times and suddenly the traction control lights turns off, stays off and the engine starts normaly. This has been happening for three weeks, and when the car is running, seems to be absolutely normal, i can switch the traction control on and off. If i switch the engine off, even just for a second, it could not starts, and starts only after a few attemps. Sometimes, it starts with no problem.

I went to the garage with the car and the diagnostic tool said something like " data bus / comunication error" ; the Thecnician said it could be the abs module.
Regarding this, what do you think it could be the problem? could it be the abs module?do you recognize this sympthoms?

Thank you in advance, I hope there is someone that could help me!
Bye!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

I have a similar problem with my 2004 A6, won't start. The engine turns over , all the lights are on, just cranks over never fires. Then if I jump it wth a jumper battery it may start. Is it possible that there is enough juice to crank the engine but not start?