General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS + ESP lights on

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:28 AM
1st Gear
Default ABS + ESP lights on

Hi guys, my 2001 A6 2.7T is showing the ESP and ABS lights upon start up (and they stay on). Not noticing any issues with the brakes or acceleration, the car drives perfectly. If I push the ESP switch, it does not do anything at all.

One thing is that the car got a new transmission. The old one had the code EMP but the new one had the code FAQ. They are interchangeable, except the speed sensor is different on the new one.

Would this speed sensor difference cause these lights to be on? I should mention that check engine light also comes on and stays on.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear

If I'm thinking correctly, you cannot simply swap the transmissions (while they may physically be the same in every aspect) on these computer controlled cars especially when they are different model codes. The programming for the FAQ trans may be slightly different than the EMP one. The programming on the TCU/TCM (the computer for the transmission) is trying to run an EMP transmission and the FAQ transmission may be giving some feedback to the TCU that is confusing it and tripping the error conditions. Even if the transmission seems to be running correctly. PLUS, I think the ECU (Engine Control Computer) is programmed to be talking to an TCU/TCM that is controlling the original EMP transmission. Bottom line is that both the Engine and Transmission Computers have to be on the same page. Some reprogramming may be in order.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Oh boy...thanks for your thoughts on this, Dave. Presuming it could be reprogrammed via VAG-COM?

Wife noticed "BRAKE" light come on yesterday, but when I turned the car on, it was gone. Brake fluid is deep green, so I think it is time for a flush. Funny thing is how great the brakes feel...they put my Passat to shame. Really strong brake, barely have to push to get a full stop.

BUT, I have noticed when backing out with brakes or when parking, that there is a slight slip that happens in the brake. I don't know if "slip" is really the right word to describe it, but something definitely happens with the brake that is odd, but subtle. Has only happened twice for me, so it is not something that always happens. When driving normally even strong stopping does not seem to have any issue at all.

Do you think it is worth having the brakes inspected by an auto shop?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

I really can't provide any information on what it takes to do any programming of the computers on the cars but I would imagine that it can be done. Probably has to be a dealer level entity though it possible that some other non-dealer shops can handle it.

The brake fluid should be flushed completely at least every couple or three years. The "slip" you may be feeling is probably nothing more than just a bit of crud that got on the rotor while driving. I'd check the brake pads on the car just to see where they are on wear. Of course there are warning sensors on the front pads (which are more critical) but there may not be ones on the rear pads. Also check the rotors, especially the back sides. For some reason, my experience is that the back sides seem to get pretty ragged when the front sides don't look near as bad. You should only have them cut once (makes them flat again) but they have to stay above the minimum thickness allowed as if they are too thin, they cannot take the heat and will warp quite quickly.

Anyway, I would find a reputable Porsche, Audi, VW, Mercedes shop and talk to them about the transmission issue. The Dealer will probably be outrageously expensive (we don't call them the "stealer" for nothing) so if you can find a non-dealer shop, it should be a lot more affordable for what ever you may need to have done to your car.