General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

According to the Dealership . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Default According to the Dealership . . .

About a month after I purchased my 2003 A6 2.7t (79000 mi) out of the blue it started idling rough, driving with less power, and the check engine light (CEL) started flashing. After worrying, wringing my hands, praying, and then finally checking on here at Audi Forums, I realized that it was likely that it was just a bad ignition coil. I also learned that Audi had recalled the ignition coils and so therefore the dealership would replace them for free.

After the dealership took a look at the car, it turned out that was correct. The cause of the CEL was a bad coil in the 4 cylinder. The dealership fixed it for free. But then, the dealership gave me a laundry list of problems with the car that they wanted to fix:

Turbo oil return line gaskets: 308.50
Propshaft seal: 385.04
Right front drive axel: 352.54

In addition. They said that there were "multiple oil leaks", and recommended:

Replace valve cover gaskets, front and rear oil seals for camshafts, timing belt, water pump, and necessary components: 2484.80.

Now my question:
I know that I need to replace the timing belt and water pump asap since I just passed 80000 miles. The guy at the dealership told me that, if I didn't get the oil leaks fixed as well it would be more wear and tear on my timing belt and cause it to be more likely to break. There's a respectable foriegn car mechanic out here that will do the timing belt and water pump for 1270.

I told the dealarship to hold off on those other repairs and just do the coils. It has been running fine, but I've been hesitant to drive it for fear of losing the timing belt.

I'm going to get the timing belt done, but like many I'm strapped for cash.

I am woefully inadequate in knowledge of mechanic stuff.

What about using a high mileage engine oil to help seal up the leaks?

Advice?