General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Aircon pump not working/plate fell of

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Aircon pump not working/plate fell of

Hi guys hopeing someone can help me out here. My econ light was on all the time and I got no aircon in the cabin. Had the aircon system checked and there was no leaks so had it refilled, the econ light was still on so we done a computer check which told us the high pressure switch/sensor was failing. I bought a new one yesterday and the econ light went out but still no aircon, I decided to drop the engine pan and have a closer look at the pump, I found what I think is the clutch plate sitting on the bottom. Next I found a bolt that would fit and placed this plate back in line, fitted the bolt but noticed it would not spin freely, I started up the car but again no aircon and no sign of the aircon pump engaging. Im not sure if there should be something inbetween this plate and the pump pully wheel. Im getting really frustrated now lol. Got a long journey tomorrow with customers (taxi driver) and not happy about them cooking in my car.

Any ideas guys, should there be something else between this plate and the pulley wheel.

Last edited by Daryn; 07-24-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Im gonna answer this one for you guys as its been a total pain in the backside and the amount of garages that wont help you and just tell you to book it in. Ive been told twice by two big garages that I need a new pump and thats just talking over the phone, HAVE YOU SEEN HOW MUCH THESE THINGS ARE.

The garage that filled up my aircon system which I think never needed it in the first place didnt want to help me out today again book it in, they filled up the system but didnt actually check anything else all I asked was for them to look on there computer to see if there was anything between the pulley wheel and the clutch plate *****.

Ok symtoms, the econ light stayed on, computer report tells me its high pressure sensor or high pressure switch cant remember which its called but bought one from TPS for those in the UK £41 £56 at audi main dealers who said I couldnt get it anywhere else, that solved the problem of the econ light but still no aircon. The best way to get to it is by removing the headlight, mine was the uk drivers side I was told it was on the passenger side. Its located on a small pipe that is attached to the aircon radiator, unscrew it fast and you dont lose much gas as it has a seal that seals up, again a garage told me I wouldnt be able to do this myself as I would lose my aircon gas, rubbish. Its an easy job as well the hardest bit for me was refitting my headlight.

Another common fault is the clutch plate falling off, the bolt comes out of the centre of the pulley wheel and the plate falls off, really common fault this one and I found mine at the bottom of the engine pan, I now know that there is nothing inbetween the pulley wheel and this plate and it spins all the time unlike other aircon pumps Ive seen in the past, replaced them and still no aircon. Dont forget a bit thread clue.

Ok here was the big problem for me, there is a plug at the top of the aircon pump and one of the wires was clean broke across the top of the plug, again nothing easy for me lol, it couldnt snap in the middle of the wire could it lol, anyway I play around with radios so soldering didnt cause to much problems for me, a better way would be cut another one from a scap car with lots of wire on it and reconnect.

Result freezing cold aircon again and the total cost was £41 for the sensor and £30 for regas which Im sure I didnt need.

Hope this helps someone out as you wont get any help from the rip off garages thats for sure. I know they need to make a profit but again if your buying parts from them you would think they would help you out with a bit info before you buy parts.