General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anybody know...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Senior Administrator
Default Anybody know...?

...where I can pull up a DIY on outer CV joints for a D2? Well, mechanically it'll be mostly teh same for justa bout any Audi, troo? So, yeah, umm..., where?

Also, one of you actual Audi techs lurking about. What's teh fluid capacity for the brake resevoir and lines? I plan on flushing and replacing my fluid. Wanna make sure I have enough, so I don't hafta bum a ride BACK to the auto-parts store

Old 09-16-2006, 02:05 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Anybody know...?

Check audi world for the diy. You may not find one specifcally for the d3, but the a4 and a6 are very similar and should give you enough information to do yours. As for the brake fluid, a quart is usuassly enough to flush the brake system. Best bet is to buy more than you need thou. Like 4 or 5. You can always return any unused bottles.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:01 AM
Senior Administrator

thanks dank, i was HOPING no one would say, "yah, chk AZ, I saw it there"

Old 09-16-2006, 03:52 AM
3rd Gear

Just for the hell of it i checked the audi world diy and its pretty good. The only part i would change is the part about pulling the joint off. The easiest way is with a hammer. You dont need a puller. Just hold the axle so you dont pull the inner apart, and whack the outer off with a hammer. Also there is an alternative method of halfshaft removal that works on some cars. You can remove the 17mm axle bolt the diy refers to. Then remove the inner part of the axle from the trans. Youll need a 10 triple square which you may not be able to find at your local tool shops. Youll also have to remove any shields that are in the way of the axle. Removing the entire axle from the vehicle makes pounding the outer cv joint out because you can clamp the whole axle in a vise.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:23 AM

lots of tips on replacing the C/V boot here

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Old 09-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Administrator

Thanks guys! I knew ya'd come through for me!

If either of you EVER need help/advice in any of MY areas of expertise:
PIMP'n
Annoying the fv<& outta people
Humor
picking your nose

...don't hesitate to ask, ,OK?