General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi 80 1.9 TDi

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Default Audi 80 1.9 TDi

Not sure if the USA got this model, but I'm hoping some UK folks will view this and be abel to help.

My 1992 Audi 80 TDi developed a fault yesterday;

When driving normally in high speed traffic, if I let my foot off the gas, for example to slow for traffic in front, then reapply the gas, there is no reaction from the car. The pedal feels and moves just like normal, but there is no reaction from the engine. No throttle, no accelaration, just like keeping your foot off the pedal.

HOWEVER;

If I dip the clutch or knock the car out of gear (its manual transmission), the engine still runs, the revs drop to normal odle speed, and the throttle works normally. If I then return the car to gear, again the gas pedall has no effect. It moved normally through its operation, does not feel stiff or light, but the car does not accelarate or react to the pedal being pushed.

The only way I can circumvent this is if I dip the clutch, rev the engine a little and slip the clutch back in, then I can use the throttle like normal, throughout it travel, until I completely remove my foot from the pedal, where the problem will the come back.

I'm guessing it cannot be a mechanical problem, ie a throttle cable or gearbox, I'm guessing it could be something like the ECU detecting a fault and putting the car into 'safe' mode, and not letting you accelerate?

Any ideas please?

Old 06-29-2006, 10:53 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Audi 80 1.9 TDi

Normally in a manuel trans car the engine doesnt know or care what gear your in. For the most part there is no transmission contorl module on stickshift transmissions so the engine has no way of knowing what gear your in. First thing to do would be to check the faults in the engine control module. You may also want to try changing your fuel filter.