General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi a4 1.8t weird hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi a4 1.8t weird hesitation

I will start this post by saying that i am new to this forum. I have been on several other forums about all kinds of cars before because i tend to change them about once every year .Now i own a 1997 audi A4 1.8t non-quattro unfortunatly, and i worked a bit on the car since i bought it. Chipped the ECU myself , cone filter , supsension work , engine tune-up etc.. only to say i know the basics of a 1.8t engine, and one thing i have to say about them is that they are the best 4 cyl. turboed engine i ever worked on. Very well made and easy to work on at any angle. I live in Canada , and i dont have much friends that can help up with a bit of knowledge on german cars where i live. Few audi/vw owners on my side of the planet So lets get back to what i am here for , the car starts jerkin at WOT when building boost under 4-5k rpms. let me be more specific, i chipped the ecu this summer, no CEL or anything, i was having 18 psi under 4-5k then holding about 12/13 psi over that until redline,seemed fine to me , the little k03 is not in good shape but not burning oil or anything , it has a good bit of side-by-side shaft play just by the noise it makes (like a little ball bearing rolling inside while spooling) but it was giving full boost with no leaks or hesitation. Then one day CEL went on and car started to stumble trough 2nd to 3rd then 1 month later (now) i can even go over 10 psi without the engine jerking at low revs.. well before high revs when boost is low at about 12 psi. Basicly i cant get 18 psi execpt when i WOT in 1st gear to redline.After that it cant peak at 18 like before. It feels like ingnition is being cut each sicle until i let the throtle go,or the n75 gets overboost and limps. I really dont know where to start because its kind of a new car to me and i never played with recirculated based boosted cars. I hope you guys can figure something out for me and i will try to help others while im here if i can. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

Its been a while since i didnt update the thread so i took the time this week to work on it a little bit. I changed oil for some penzoil platinium 5-w30 full syntech. and changed spark plugs today, new NGK BRK7E gapped to .028 and i had the codes cleared . One of them was p0601 so yeah ill get a new ecu i guess or ill try to find someone near that has a VAGCOM to try and play with it. I bought a MBC and going to instal it next week to see i if can have at least 18 psi spike like before, but changing the sparks i had a p0303 so cyl. 3 had missfire it kinda worked well cause i can spike to 14/15 psi without any hesitation ! Im currently looking at some k04s 015 and thinking about swapping the old 250k kilos k03 XD dont wanna go BT or anything just a bit more high end. I know last post wasnt helping much i didnt give any codes that i had or anything but has i said im new to those cars so i guess i have to start somewhere . Thanks for looking at it tho!