General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

B5 1.8t won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 04:04 PM
1st Gear
Default B5 1.8t won’t start

I apologize in advance if this post is misplaced. I love this group and have solved many issues by the information here. This is my first time posting. I’ll be as detailed as possible.

car: 2000 a4 wagon 1.8t auto 145k
I got it at 125k with apr stage1 tune. Car is stock aside from tune, suspension, and a borla cat back.

it had some issues when I got it. I fixed water leaks, boost vacuum leaks, fuel filter, t-stat, new temp sensors, boost sensor.

car has ran well with no issues for 2 years/20k miles with constant mpg. I have vcds lite the free version and my only fault code is for my secondary air injection pump.

last week I hopped in it and it just cranks and does not start. Sounds like it may fire on one cylinder every couple of rotations but is nowhere close to actually starting.

-new new faults on vcds lite.
-all fuses checked
-good fuel flow, verified by removing inlet line to fuel rail and observing flow into a bottle.
-verified spark on 2 of the 4 cylinders by removing plugs and coils.
ive also combed through the forum for info and check resistance of my fuel pump, signal to my cam position sensor.

it seems like I have fuel and spark, there was no warning sign, it’s as though the Audi/vw gremlins just attacked one night and I’m stumped. Any info is much appreciated! Thank you again for all the previous issues you’ve help me solve by reading through this form for the past several years.

update, fixed the car, reset ecu, same issue and then just decided to start and runs fine. No idea why.

Last edited by Tjuhala; 01-11-2022 at 01:13 AM.