General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Before I complete my purchase of a 2007 A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Before I complete my purchase of a 2007 A4

I am about to purchase a 2007 A4 from an Audi dealer that was owned privately by one owner for a couple of months and has a little over 3,000 miles on it. The Carfax report doesn't show anything troubling, but I realize that some things might not be reported. I am supposed to get and approve a full service history as a condition of completing the purchase. I am wondering if the fact that the car is not being sold as Audi Certified is a red flag, or is it understandable because the car is so new? If the service history doesn't show a history of repairs prior to the sale of the car, am I likely to be ok with the original warranty on the car? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Default RE: Before I complete my purchase of a 2007 A4

It does sound a little weird, why would someone take such a depreciation loss on a brand new car when they were only going to drive it for 3000 miles? I would look into why they sold it.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Administrator

What does teh law, in PA, state about dealer desclosure of "lemon-law" cars? IDK if *I* wud colse on this deal. If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is, IMHO! Ask them for a service hsitory on teh car. If they say there "isn't" one, have them putthat IN WRITING, IN THE CONTRACT!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I love Audis but I would be wary of any used one...especially in this situation. Lemon laws or not, the time and energy it takes to get that process rolling if the car's a POS is a huge headache. I say so from experience. If they offered as at least CPO I wouldn't be as concerned.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm shopping for a used A4 also and almost bought one but something told me that I should check it out a little more, hope my experiance helps others.

I called our local Audi dealer and gave them the vin#, of the Audi that I was going to buy from a small dealer, to check in their national database as to where the Audi was serviced. After searching his database he gave me two dealer number and asked me to call Audi to find out where these dealers were located. I called Audi and gave them the dealer number it turns out that this particular A4 was sold in Florida and the engine had to be replaced after 27k miles by the dealer due to sludge. It was then sold to California and was serviced at a california location until 40K miles.

The funny thing is Carfax had history of this vehicle as of 2007 with a 24k miles, now unless the dealer modified the carfax report and showed me that or carfax just had it wrong. The moral of the story is always check the vin# before you buy any used car with the dealer and always buy your own carfax report don't rely on the dealer's carfax report.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear

I wouldn't worry to much about it. People trade in cars all the time for so many reasons.
They really could not afford the car, it wasn't the car they wanted, after buying it, they no longer want it, etc...

If you go to the service dept, they should be able to tell you if any work was done on the car.

It might not be CPO due to the mileage, & age. You might be on the factory Audi warranty. This question would be best directed to the Audi dealer, as to why it's not a CPO.