General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Broken tube coming out of lower part of grill

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Default Broken tube coming out of lower part of grill

Hey guys, my 98 a4 was taken over a steep curb tonight and when I stepped out of the vehical I saw that there was a thin, white tube coming out of the lowest part of the grill that was broken. It was spewing a semi-warm seemingly blue colored fluid, and drained completely in about 3 minutes.

Obviously this struck me as a serious issue. It seemed to be the wiper fluid for the headlights, although the fluid for the windshield still worked fine. I didn't get a chance to drive the car to see if it was a more serious problem. When I turned on the car no errors showed up except the "Service" light flashing on the "Trip" portion of the odomoter, which has always flashed on and off since my car got rear-ended (and repaired fully) a few months ago.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? It seemed to be wiper fluid but I'm curious if it might be something more serious. I know these cars are expensive to repair so if it's just fluid I probably won't mess with it for a while. If it's something more serious, however, that requires more immediate attention of course.

TIA for any advice anyone has to offer.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:03 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Broken tube coming out of lower part of grill

you would be correct in thinking its wiper fluid. Sounds like one of the hoses for the headlight washers, just climb under there and see if you can tell where it goes back on.