General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cam sensor request (part number)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator
Default cam sensor request (part number)

OK, I have a small dilemma. My cam sensor went out on me and I have a CEL as a result. The local Audi shop (which is Audi/Porsche/BMW/Mercedes/VW) apparently are idiots and can't answer the question for me.

Any of you guys with a 2.8 engine (AHA code I believe), if you have a sensor lying around, could you let me know the part number, either in reply here or via PM? I was given a cam sensor from friend who had it lying around among a bunch of parts from various VWs, and I don't know whether it was from a 1.8T or a 2.8 engine.

The numbers on the sensor are in two rows. The top row is 02321024, and below that is 058905161B. Below that also, it says PG1. My friend doesn't recall if it came off a 2.8 or a 1.8T, so before I go putting it on my engine, I want to see if it might match one of the numbers on someone's 2.8L sensor. Any of you guys with parts cars or parts engines, could you verify this number for me, and tell me which engine it's from, or what the part number is from a 2.8 30V? I'd really appreciate it - my inspection is overdue but I won't pass without the part and I may well have it here - I just want to be sure before I put it on my car and start it up, only to find out I'm going to damage something.

TIA for any assistance anyone can provide.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: cam sensor request (part number)

It shouldn't be expensive at the dealer. Give them your engine code and VIN.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator

It shouldn't be, I agree, but around here for some reason we get raped on prices. Plus, our local Audi place is a bunch of idiots. I'm just gonna throw the thing on there and see if the light goes out. If so, perfect. If not, then I'll have to get a sensor.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 PM
3rd Gear

058905161B
That looks like an audi part number. Have your dealer run that number and see if it applys to the 2.8.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

It should be OK for it - it matched perfectly to the sensor I took off my engine (every number matched up - all rows of numbers on the sensor were identical). Should be fine for the car. Since my CEL isn't going out, I'm thinking that my replacement sensor may not be good after all.

The other possibility is that I changed the wrong one. Seems unlikely though - the code P01519 (or P1519, don't remember which it is) said "cylinder bank 1", which I took to be the passenger bank due to that bank being the one with cylinder 1 in it. Correct?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear

You are correct. Bank 1 is the pasenger side with the number 1 cylinder on it. You may want to take a look at your timing belt timing. Sometimes they give a little warning before they fail. They will jump a tooth and cause a cam timing fault. Another posiblitly is the camshaft adjuster on that bank failing causing incorect timing or the remote posiblity that the chain between the cams has "jumped" timing.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Ah ****, didn't think of that. I'd hope it's not that - the whole timing service was done a year ago, about 17k miles back. If this thing's gonna blow already, then I am not sure I'd want any further part of this car anyhow. I'd imagine though, that this is kind of a remote chance, but still a possibility and that's why you're mentioning it. When I changed the sensor I took a look at the belt and it looks great. Also, I've had no discernable change in power since I got the car, and the fault only occurred fairly recently. I'm still leaning toward it being a sensor issue, but nonetheless I appreciate the potentially gruesome possible other problems, and I will look into them, particularly the timing belt timing. Thanks again dankhound - I appreciate the information.