General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car is smoking from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:02 PM
1st Gear
Default car is smoking from exhaust

I put my fingure in my exhaust and there is alot of oil and very wet, which is causing the smoke. No smoke from the engine bay. the smoke is only coming from my exhaust

Old 01-27-2007, 04:02 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: car is smoking from exhaust

You might want to do a compression test for each cylinder.
Is your exhaust blue?

Old 01-27-2007, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear

Is there smoke coming out when only cold? What color is it?

Water is a byproduct of combustion, so is soot.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Senior Administrator

From my response to the OTHER thread you made, with the SAME question:
first, are you sure it's smoke, not steam. It being winter-time, when you first start up the hot exhaust gasses condense into steam, by the time they make it all teh way to the end of your cold, cold exhaust-pipe. At least until the exhaust heats up, then the steam-ee-ness goes away.

now, if THAT'S not what you're dealing with...

smoke out the tail-pipe generally falls into one of two categories. Either piston rings, whch can be moderately expensive to repair, but, it only gets worse, and potentially more expensive to repair as time goes on. Or, head-gasket, which can also be moderately expensive to repair, but, if the head-gasket BLOWS (which, it eventually will, sooner later, if it's what the problem is), and, if it does go you MAY need to replace the engine, itself, depending on how much collateral damage is done.

go see a mechanic and have them check for oil in your coolant, or coolant in youroil, if yes to either, there is the very real possibility that you have a cracked head-gasket. If not, get a leak-down test, to find out which cylinders' rings are worn, then, replace all of them, just to be safe!

Now, *I'M* not a mechanic, my advice is based solely on my personal experiences. For qualified advice, I'd recommend sending a PM to rayveedub, or avant80@2.6, or dankhound, or rbtech. They are actual mechanics who hang around the AF, and tend to give better guesses than anything *I* could ever "know."