General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cats, test pipes, and flex pipes

Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 AM
4th Gear
Default cats, test pipes, and flex pipes

well im very poor, and i dont want to dish out a few hiundred with the replacement of my exhaust, which has a bad leak in it now and sounds like a bee. but i do have a friend with a welder and wanted to know what is the best path to take, on my car both the cats are burned out, in addition i hit a curb and jared loose the flex pipes. i got my tax return today and most is going into tuition and paying off my car, so here are my options, just test pipe the whole thing no cats or flex pipe. get a cheap uni cat and flex pipe off ebay and ghetto rig it up, or something in between. anyone wanna tell me my best option i got maybe $125 to play with would have more dont wanna go into debt, also DO I REALLY NEED FLEX PIPES, can i just weld or clamp one end of the pipe to the cat and the cat to teh rest of the exhaust, i need an answer ASAP like end of the week so i can order the stuff, my friends leaving the state for school after the first week in april.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: cats, test pipes, and flex pipes

Yes, you need the flex pipes. Are you sure the flex joint is bad & it's not just the covering coming apart?

I would remove the Dp's & just gut the cats, this will throw a CEL, your only other choice is to put in some aftermarket cats.

Depending on where your exhaust is leaking, you should be able to weld a patch on it. Yes, it will all be ghetto, but work.

Your other option is to go to a junk yard & see what they have, a used exhaust should be cheap.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 PM
4th Gear

definetly sure its the flex pipes. i was under there todayand just ripped off what ever braiding i could and it it looks like it just broke loose from where it connects to the cats.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:51 PM

exact same thing happened to mine, it sucks. you can find universal flex pipes at pepboys, autozone, etc for really cheap. Gut the cats like stated above or find some universals and get to welding. You should be able to get a working set up for the money you have. ^^^^^ junk yards are always good too, see if you can find some good looking exhaust parts from other cars, and make a frankenstien set up for yours.