General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CD player problems...

Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 AM
1st Gear
Default CD player problems...

Hey everyone, so this post has been a long time in the coming.. Finally getting around to getting it done...

I have a 1999 Audi a6 2.8l; 115,000 miles... I bought it from a high altitude city in Colorado... the only mod's it has is a cool air intake?.. I then proceeded to drive it to South Dakota and then two months later, to Las Vegas (a 24 hour drive) on the way, my cruise control gave out.. not a big deal..

but then about half way through, my cd player gave out... The cd player gives a message that says ERROR... so for about a year I just lived with it.. but then earlier this summer in las vegas, I popped in a CD just for the hell of it AND IT WORKED!!! for about 5 hours.. and then it gave out again, and I'm getting the error message again..

so anyways, does anyone have any ideas??? how to fix it??
If not, does anyone know any good faceplates that match the audi vibe i.e. all red lighting??

Here are the other minor issues I have with my car (I think some of it may have to do with it having been a cold weather car, where the hottest it gets in the summer is 80 degrees to las vegas, where it gets 110 in the summer)
I had it scanned recently and nothing changed with any of these glitches.. it just detected major problems...
My child lock button doesn't turn off, so only the driver can control the back windows... my front window and sun roof are glitchy... so they close about half way, and then they reopen again.. I have to hold the button to get either to close properly...

Also, my right headlight is fogged, and I already used one of those "cleaners" from autozone and didn't work worth a s**t... so I wanna buy a new headlight.. anyone know where I can get one for under 200$... cause i'm a broke college student hahah

thanks for your help everyone,

-christian

Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear

Well i wouldnt try to buy a brand new headlight (they are expensive, especially for xenons), id look for one at a junkyard or something. Theres a few places online you can find stuff too just do a search. The windows sound like maybe they were trained wrong? As long as you can roll them up if you hold the switch. Id disconnect the battery and plug it back in then retrain the windows (hold each button to full down then full up with no stops). As far as the back buttons not working it sounds like your child lock button is broken or something.

The CD player might be a loose connection back at the CD player or behind the radio. Id check those. If that doesnt work im selling a cd changer if you wanna buy it haha.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 AM
1st Gear
Default I wanted to add a little more information

To be exact I get the error that says CD1 Err1

Now as i've read, it could be the OEM changer, the cd holder or the head unit...

I feel like it might be the OEM changer- because it gave out in the middle of the desert and may have over-heated or melted or something...
but I can't use a cleaning cd because when i switch to CD mode in the head unit it automatically goes to the CD1 Err1 message

what do you guys think it may be

and does anyone have suggestions about a cd player that could go in dash?? or is that just always a huge problem with audi cd players etc..
cause I don't have a grand to get this cd player fixed
I'd rather just buy a new part if i can

Also, could I unhook the CD player and rehook it back in to see if that fixes anything or do i need to buy special keys etc...??

Old 11-02-2008, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

There are two places you can check the connections. If you take of the screw that holds down the cd changer and the cubby back there you can get to the connection there. To get to the radio connection you have to get radio keys (They are like 15 bux i think from the dealer) and check the connection there (it should be the blue plug). If none of that worked i would try and replace the cd changer first.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:05 PM

pull the radio fuse, you might be able to reset the error and have it work for awhile... but your gonna need a new radio

Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear

Id go with changer first if it keeps coming back, its cheaper to replace and is more often the problem it appears from searching it on google.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:17 PM

ERROR 1 (ERR1) - No Data Can Be Read From CD.
Possible Cause:
♦ Disc is dirty/scratched.
♦ Disc is upside down.
♦ Lens is dirty or foggy.
♦ Laser diode is defective.

Possible Solution:
 Clean disc. If disc is scratched, DO NOT use.
 Make sure all discs are inserted correctly.
If Error 1 is shown with all CDs:
 Replace Radio.*

screw google...... like i said... your gonna need a radio, not a changer, a radio

Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear

Take a look at what you posted before you posted Darkprodo. It says possible causes: LASER DIODE DEFECTIVE, wheres the laser diode located??? The radio itself, or the cd changer?? Hmmmmm, well the laser reads the discs and the discs are in the cd changer... And, with the other posssible causes, the cd changer most likely thinks theres a bad disc in there so it tells the radio to put out the error message. If the radio was bad it would most likely not be able to communicate with the cd changer and put out the code err03.

The thing your reading from is probably refering to a symphony radio which has a cd player built into the headunit. I dont think thats what he is referring to (he mensioned the headunit and the changer), but if it is we are both talking about the same thing, the cd changer would be a part of the radio itself.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

If you can get the radio out, send it to "United Radio" in Syracruse, NY. They repair and sell replacement OEM radios. They will go through it and fix most problems for $129.00, upfront of course. Great people to work with, call first 1-800-448-0944.