General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CEL Flashing, burning smell, rpms bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Default CEL Flashing, burning smell, rpms bouncing

Hi guys,

I have a 2003 Audi A6 2.7 Quattro with 140,000 miles. About a month ago my car engine was smoking a little bit and my roommate said not to worry it looked like a leaky valve cover gasket that could be replaced soon. About a week ago, while approaching a red light with the AC on, the rpms starting bouncing and the car jerked. At first it did this only when the AC is turned on. Then a couple days ago it did the same thing with or without the AC on. RPMS bounced and car jerked when approaching a stop

Yesterday I went to start my car and the idle was really rough and higher than usual, CEL started flashing, and I smelled raw gas. I immediately turned off the car. I went and bought an ignition coil and changed it one cylinder at a time and it didn't help. The car still idled very rough but the CEL is no longer flashing just illuminated, though I haven't driven it to be sure

The spark plugs are new, fuel pump new, and air filter new. Any ideas what this could possibly be? I am taking to a mechanic and I want a general idea of the possibilities

also, AutoZone won't read codes in California