General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check Engine light...real bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Check Engine light...real bad?

I have an '04 CPO Allroad, and the 'check engine' light has been on for a few days. I haven't had the time to get down to the dealership.

I tightened the gas cap...are there any other obvious, fixable problems that lead to this light being on? Would a VAG tool tell me what's wrong? Should I drive the car into the river and get the insurance money?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

john

Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

go to autozone or advance and get them to read the codes for free.. but dont buy anything off of them yet. if your code is some sort of evap leak then have them clear it and make sure your gas cap is always on tight. if its another code then quick reply them and we can go from there. and if your engine light is on and flashing do not drive the car as it is a misfire condition that will damage your catalyst...

Old 09-26-2008, 08:59 AM
4th Gear
Old 09-26-2008, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

take it down to the dealership right now. your CPO will be voided if you continue to use your car despite the light on. either that or dont drive it at all and get it ASAP. Time is of the essence with such problems because you will be dealing with a dealership and they will give you every excuse in the book if you dont bring it in asap.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

and dont try to mess with the car either. forget VAG codes. go straight to the dealership. Its CPO, it should be covered. and worst comes to worse, you will only pay $50 deductible. so save yourself a lot of **** down the road and head for the dealership now.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

ahh.. whats the fun in that? do some research, get the code pulled from autozone or advance, list them on here and see what you come up with. you might just learn something and you may not have to deal with the dealership yankin your chain...

Old 09-27-2008, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

well his car is still under warranty since he mentioned it is CPO. fun? not when you are spending more than the $50 deductible. i'd be all for the DIY if it wasnt under warranty anymore. but that just isnt the case here.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear

well being a technician, i guess our views differ...

Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Okay, it turns out that it's some sort of intake vacuum thingie. I went slightly deaf when he said something about 3-4 hour job. It's not critical, so I'm going back to the dealership when I have time (and my laptop to do work) next week. At least they have free coffee and Snapple there.

Thanks for the advice...as much as I'm a DIYer, I also don't want to mess with CPO.

By the way, when I was at the dealership today, I saw a new A4 Avant (sexy), and A5 (sexier), and a couple of new-ish RS4 sedans (sexiest!).

Cheers,

john

Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

good luck. keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Check Engine light...real bad?