General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch is acting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Clutch is acting up

Well I was driving home from school today and I took off in first gear and let it in neutral. Then after coming to a stop i let the clutch out and it was stuttering and didn't want to engage smoothly and seemed to lose some power. Then a few min. later I had a really hard time getting the stick in any gear. I barely made it home. Then I tried starting it up later at home and when the car is running it just dosen't want to get in gear I had to put it in gear while it was off and then start it up.

I doubt its the clutch because it has been replaced 2 years ago. Although the T/O bearing was already making some noise. When i'm at a stop and have it in first with the clutch in, the car drives as if the clutch wasn't depressed and the rpm's don't drop at all if i depress the clutch.

it's a 2002 1.8T quattro 5spd manual with 65k. Can it be a hydraulic problem?

Old 04-27-2008, 03:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Clutch is acting up

It sounds likeyou need a new clutch. I've seen a pressure plate broken into 4 pieces before on a QUATTRO.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:07 AM
1st Gear

It is a broken pressure plate, replace the clutch.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

couldn't he just buy a new pressure plate? I've seen new ones on ebay for rather cheap...hell, i've seen racing clutches for A4's in the $200 range. my clutch is really messed up right now, it's sticking (and not unsticking), and it's currently completely stuck. kinda sucks, cause i drive an '89 200QT, which isnt exactly the most common car, and i've been quoted anything from $300-$1300, mostly labor. my problem is that there isn't a VW/Audi dealer around here, except the one in town (where i got the quote), that just specializes in selling used imports (Audi and VW, mainly), but they aren't an actual dealership. my advice is to research this thoroughly, figure out what it is (listen to these guys on here, they seem pretty knowledgable), and then try to find the part yourself. a good discount parts site is www.rockauto.com they have some pretty good deals on there. for example, anew clutch (complete) for my car is about $500 or more on most sites, but on rockauto, it's about half that. i'm not sure how they get the prices they do, but i would check them or ebay for parts. you could also just go to the local junkyard, see if they have any cars similar to yours, and figure out if the cars are compatible. if so, you should be able to pick up a clutch for pretty cheap.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Well I changed out the slave cylinder with no luck so I'm going to order a clutch kit. While The tranny is out i'll rebuilt it because the 5th gear syncro is gone. Is there a difference between these two.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-05...spagenameZWDVW

This one claims to be performance sachs while the other is just a sachs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-05...spagenameZWDVW

I just wanted to know if they are the same or if the 2nd one is actually a stronger one.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

Ok well you guys were right my pressure plate snapped in 3 places and it had 2 hairline cracks. I just bought this car two weeks ago and the guy replaced the clutch 2 years ago and the car only has 65k on it.