General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Control Arm or ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Default Control Arm or ??

About a month ago, I made a post about a funny squeak noise I was hearing in my '97 A4. I think that I have narrowed it down, but need a little info on this. Here's what i got.

1. The noise sounds like its rotational. Appears at 25mph or higher.
2. Cannot be duplicated by pushing up/down on the right rear side (this is the side the noise is on).
3. Noise is evident while driving in a straight line, but goes away when steering to the right.
4. Noise becomes noticeably louder when steering to the left.

Does not sound like a wheel bearing going bad as this is not a "grinding" noise. I tried to lube the control arm bushings with lithium grease just to see if the noise went away, but it didn't. I may not have gotten it lubed enough.

I'm stuck on this one and needs some help. I think it may be the control arms, but not real sure.

Any help would be great!

Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Control Arm or ??

I doubt its the control arm it sounds more like a c/v joint because it is more noisy on turning, bearing noise is like a hummmmm that gets louder the faster you go

Old 01-07-2006, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Control Arm or ??

Sounds alot like a wheel bearing. A bad joint will usually be more of a knocking or clicking.