General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Convertible window filming problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Default Convertible window filming problem

I have a 1998 Audi Cabriolet with a rear window problem. I've been told that through collecting moisture in the raising and lowering of the top since I bought the car (2000), the rear window has developed a film which makes viewing through it near to impossible. Before I either
1.) purchase and install a new top; or
2.) purchase and install a new rear window,

I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced a similar problem and, if so, were they able to solve the problem without going to either extreme. Help!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Convertible window filming problem

Welcome to the forum Jack K!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE! link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.

================================================== ===========

I've heard of something like that, but I also heard that there is some sort of product that is used to "clean" the window - and it works quite well. I just can't recall what it is.

Old 08-20-2004, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

you could try buffing it, but do that when you have the new window ready to go in, so if it doesnt go well, you dont have to wait around, and if it does go well, you can take the new piece back...

i think this happens in all convertibles with the flex rear windows.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:11 PM

Just puchased a 1997 cabrio, same problem. spoke to a restoration shop the window that audi installed is glued in and is a diffucult change top must be removed totally old window removed and new one stitched in (not reglued) not ot bad a price 600.00 or so. also spoke to an audi dealer he did not even have an answer for other than "thats an expesive fix dude, you have to replace the whole top man" he was so not helpful. also tries an mild abrashive polish sold specifically for this did not work either. if you hear of anything that can help us please post.