General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant issue! Sludge? Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant issue! Sludge? Leak?

Hi all,

I have a problem with my coolant in my A4 B6 1.8t Quattro.

A couple of days ago the coolant light came on warning me that I had low coolant. It was fairly intermittent and it would only come on when I parked on a hill so it was just a tiny bit low. Anyway, I topped it up with some Comma Xstream G30 Antifreeze & Coolant and the light went off completely, so I thought all was well.

However yesterday the vents stopped giving out warm air altogether, and so I suspected something. Today I had a coolant warning that would not go away and when I checked the reservoir It was completely empty.

I had no choice but to drive home, the vehicle did not overheat at all and the vents gave out warm air at idle revs, and when I checked the coolant level once home it was low, but the reservoir was no longer completely empty.

Any ideas? I read that mixing two incompatible coolants can cause a sludge to form, could this have been the issue? Could there be a leak or air blockage? What's the best course of action?

Cheers guys

Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem with my 02 a4. I have all your symptoms plus milky looking substance that i noticed on the dipstick, none on the oil cap. I've beem researching on it and its possibly a bad cylinder head? It ran fine with no overheating before i parked it.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by generic
I'm having the same problem with my 02 a4. I have all your symptoms plus milky looking substance that i noticed on the dipstick, none on the oil cap. I've beem researching on it and its possibly a bad cylinder head? It ran fine with no overheating before i parked it.
Yeah, I have now fixed mine fortunately. Turned out to be an air blockage plus a leaking coolant pump. Replaced the coolant pump, all the hoses and obviously the air bubble disappeared when I refilled the system. Running like a dream again now.

Yours seems like a much more serious problem, I haven't experienced it but I think it is either a leaking head gasket or a leak at some other part of the system. That needs repairing immediately if that is the case.

Hope you get it sorted pal, cheers for your input!