General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant Radiator Issue 1996 Audi A4 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Coolant Radiator Issue 1996 Audi A4 2.8

Hi I need some help! Yesterday I was driving for a while probably 2 1/2 hours city driving. My car was running fine. I just had it in the shop a couple weeks ago for brakes and an oil change and all of the fluids were topped off.

I parked my car in a spot on the street and turned it off. I decided it wasn't a good spot to park as I could be ticketed, and moved it a few streets over.

As I was starting to crank the wheel and parallel park my car I noticed that a bunch of white steam was coming up off the street. Surely enough all or most of the coolant seemed to pour out of the system from somewhere. When I got the car parked I looked underneath and it looked like there was a leak on the right (drivers) side above the water pump somewhere.

Today I took a gallon of distilled water over to my car, hoping to identify where the leak is at. I was hoping it is just a cracked hose, but it seemed like a lot of antifreeze came out for it to be that. I put a little bit of water into the reservoir and turned the car on and revved it up a bit and waited and looked. Nothing was leaking out.

I don't know much about cars, but I am wondering how so much coolant could run out of the car yesterday, but today it showed no signs.

I'm wondering how to proceed. I'm also concerned cuz now there is some water in my system and it is starting to get cold at night. I was thinking about just filling it up with coolant and running the car for a bit to evaporate the water out. Would that work? Or should I do a system flush. I'm planning on taking it in on Wednesday if need be.

The issue is def above the water pump, because there is coolant residue on some of the hoses leading up to the reservoir.

Any ideas on what the issue could be would be much appreciated. Sorry if this is a naive post. I just know little about cars besides changing oil but def would like to learn more.

Thanks for the help.