General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cranks, but won't fire after clutch replacement. No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Cranks, but won't fire after clutch replacement. No Codes

1996 A4 2.8Q MT

I just got done replacing my clutch along with many other things, got it all back together and it cranks over, but won't fire. I can smell gas, so I know that's not it. I'm wondering if the problem is the engine speed sensor. The instructions I was following said to remove it, but I didn't know that the holes on it were slotted. I tried to get it back to where it was, but maybe it's not seeing the flywheel? How touchy are these? I see Audi has a special tool to align it properly. I tired moving it little by little and cranking each time, but nothing. I noticed the tach doesn't move when I crank it, is this normal? my vag-com shows no fault codes but when I look at RPM on it while cranking, it shows 0. Any other ideas besides this sensor?

I tried a different sensor from a junkyard and no change. The book says that it should read 1 ohm but both sensors show open on my digital meter. Is it possible that the machine shop messes up the magnet on the flywheel when they resurfaced it? Does anyone have a picture of this part of the flywheel?