General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cv joints, windows & roof won't open. LED display shows 3 doors open

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:39 PM
1st Gear
Default cv joints, windows & roof won't open. LED display shows 3 doors open

Hello all,
First off. both of my CV joints on the front are ripped up and my mechanic wants to change out the whole axel. Does this sound like a good course of action. secondly and I am not sure if all this related. my windows and sunroof are not working. They are closed. The LED display shows that 3 doors are open but they are not. Car drives fine. Does this sound familier to anyone?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Default RE: cv joints, windows & roof won't open. LED display shows 3 doors open

It sounds like you have some bad sensors causing your display to freak out. As for the axle that is what I would do.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:22 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: cv joints, windows & roof won't open. LED display shows 3 doors open

I would say it depends how long they have been ripped, how much axle grease is left in the boot, and if the cv joints make any noise. You can look at the outer cv joints-check with a flashlight to see if there is any grease left in there. Also listen for a clicking noise when making slow turns. If they make no noise they are probably ok and you can just change the boots.
As for your other problem...The windows and sunroof are controlled by the comfort module. could also be a fuse.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:06 PM

As for the doors open, could be the switches are each door as well. Unlikely if they all showed up at once, I would definatly lean towards the module then if all popped up at once

Old 04-07-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

Regarding your electrical problems, I would just about gaurantee that fuse 14 is blown. As for the cause, it can be many different things. In my case, it was (is) a wire in the drivers seat to the footwell light. I just disconnected the black, 2 wire connector in the stack of connectors under the front seat. I haven't fixed the short yet, but I don't really miss that light. Give it a try, it will only take a few minutes and might solve your problem.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

You can just change the CV joints without doing the whole axle, I just did both of mine. There is a great write-up on audiworld.com. I got the CV's from blauparts.com and they ar the actual factory ones, not a cheap knock off and the whole kit is only $99. Included the boot and grease as well.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

Thats expensive , you can get them from the dealer for $50 or so.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

I am going through the electrical issues with my Audi A4 1.8T. It was confirmed that the problem is the Comfort System Module. Somehow water has leaked into the floorboard of my driver side and shorted the module which controls power door locks, sunroof, trunk lock, keyless entry, floorpanel lights interior lights, and few other things. The module runs about $350.00 but can be installed in a snap.

Any suggestions on how the water leaked into the car in the first place? Sunroof seems to be sealed tight and windows or doors were not left opened. Its a mystery to me!

John