General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Diagnosing a rear wheel-bearing issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Diagnosing a rear wheel-bearing issue

Hey everyone,

I bought my A4 Q this summer and figured that the hum coming from the drivers side rear was something to do with the AWD. One of my friends was riding with me recently and made mention of the noise and suggested that it may be a wheel bearing needing replacement. It is distinctly coming from the drivers side rear wheel, so I am fairly confident he is correct, I just haven't dealt with wheel bearings before.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to diagnose and confirm that it is a wheel bearing going out or already out and needing replacement ASAP!? I'm not sure how long the hum was there before I bought the car, but I have been driving with it for approximately 2000 miles. I'm going on a roadtrip for thanksgiving break and will be going about 3000miles roundtrip...Should this be dealt with ASAP and where should I go and how much should it cost approximately?

I'm leaving in 9 days so any help I can get now would be best! Thanks!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 PM
4th Gear

raise the suspect wheels and shake it, if theres play its the wheel bearing. it costa bout $200 to fix at places like NTB

Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
4th Gear

While drivivg turn to the right and then left. The noise should
get louder in one direction. If the noise is louder when turning
right, the left rear wheel bearing is bad.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

I do know that it is from the left rear.

Is there an in between stage for bearings or is just a Good/Bad situation? That is what I am assuming from this.

Anyone know a place or someone out here in CO that can do this that is trustworthy and NOT the stealership?

Thanks again!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear

they are honestly pretty common and pretty easy to repair. i would try SAudi's recommendation first. if that doesnt give you an answer crazyhawks test drive tip is also good, its just a little more difficult to tell which bearing is bad in the rear as to the front..

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Yep, as for diagnosing it as a wheel bearing, here's how:

1 - look at your trunk lid - if it says "A4" anywhere on it, your bearing is bad.

Failed wheel bearings are THAT common on our cars.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:25 AM
4th Gear

Werner's in Aurora

http://www.audifans.com/mechanic.php

It should cost around $250 for a pressed on bearing.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM

lift the car... spin the wheel, while its spinning put your hand on the knuckle and feel for a vibration.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help guys!

I went to Platinum Auto in Littleton, CO and received the job for $230 w/ parts. Great service and extremely honest, kind, and highly experienced guys (17 Years at Audi and 14 years at Volvo). Check 'em out!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear
Default which side is it?

Originally Posted by CRAZYHAWK
While drivivg turn to the right and then left. The noise should
get louder in one direction. If the noise is louder when turning
right, the left rear wheel bearing is bad.
I have a slightly different situation. when I turn hard left the noise stay's the same and doesn't get louder. when I turn hard right the noise completly goes away. Is this a wheel bearing issue? which side? also, I plan on doing most of the work myself with exception of getting the bearing pressed out & in. I read on another thread to leave the speed sensor connected and feed the wire down thru from under the passenger seat? Is there any other tid-bits of information I should know about while doing this? thanks !

Quick Reply: Diagnosing a rear wheel-bearing issue