General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Different kind of auto-manual transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Default Different kind of auto-manual transmission...

Has anyone heard of or seen an auto-manual transmission that does not require a driver operated clutch (by definition, of course) but also has a floor-mounted/center console mounted shifter that moves in the H-pattern configuration commonly found on manual transmissions? I really wanna know if such technology is out there, and if it's possible to get that installed after-market.

I regret buying my A3 in an automatic transmission, but I hear the conversion to a manual transmission requires not only the unsightly hacking away and welding in the pedal area to accommodate a clutch pedal, a new fly wheel, and various other parts, but also the purchase of a transmission designed for a standard. I would trade her in for a manual if I could, but she's a 2007 with 28k miles on her, so I doubt I'd get much for her. Besides, the reason I got her was because I couldn't find any used A3s for sale locally with a manual tranny, so I'm looking for aftermarket solutions.

Thanks,
Sam