General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DIY Audi Maintenance Difficulty Level?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default DIY Audi Maintenance Difficulty Level?

I've been looking at some early 00 era A6 and A4s but everything I read is to expect 1000-1500 a year in repair and "preventative maintenance" costs.

In high school, I had two years of automotive (NATEF/ASE curriculum) and then two years of the same in college. I ultimately decided I didn't want to be an auto tech and chose a different career, but I have continued to work on all of my own cars.

However, most cars I have worked on have been domestic brands, most of the work being smaller projects (no major engine/trans work). I'm curious how difficult it is to work on Audi/VW cars should something go bad. I'm hoping that parts are a smaller portion of the repair cost than labor and that the so that the 1000-1500.00 repair costs are significantly smaller if done myself.

So what are your thoughts? Is it really much more work than a domestic car? And are the parts more costly than domestics? A friend told me that Audi parts can be purchased at Autozone and other places as opposed to VW which is dealer only (from what I have been told)

Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM
4th Gear

As long as you know how to turn your own wrenches, Audi's aren't that bad to own. They are a little more expensive to maintain that a Honda or Chevy, mainly because some parts are more expensive. But as long as you're not scared to get your hands dirty, then it's not that bad.

On my 99.5 A4, I've done my own timing belt, control arms, front drive shafts, exhaust, and numerous other little things, mostly with just a basic Craftsman tool box (and I rented the special tools for the TB).

If you actually enjoy getting your hands dirty with your own DIY's, Audi is definitely the car for you.