General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: Can I swap a DPT Trans with a EKD Trans and TCM
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Maybe: Give details
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

DPT Trans code to EKD trans code swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:17 PM
1st Gear
Default DPT Trans code to EKD trans code swap

I received a transmission purchased online and it was the wrong trans code EKD. Mine is a DPT trans code. The company was great and refunded my money, and told me to keep the trans that I received to do with whatever I want. Is it possible to purchase the Transmission Control Module that matches the EKD transmission I have and install both into my 98 Audi A6 the EKD transmission is the next series after they discontinued the DPT trans (used from 97 to 99) and the EKD was used from 99 to 2001.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:05 AM
1st Gear
Default I want to know this too

I recently bought a 2000 avant, the previous owner had swapped the stock EKD code transmission with a DPT code transmission, I bought as is in limp mode. Far as I can tell according to the ZF website the EKD code tranny uses a hall effect type input shaft speed sensor whereas the DPT tranny uses a magnetic type input speed sensor. Gear ratios the same, valve body the same (except the sensor) after much research I found a TCM that matches the DPT code ($45 on ebay) should be here in a couple days. I'm going to try and swap out the TCM. I have absolutely no idea if this will work but I figured for $45 it's worth a shot before I have to buy another transmission. I was so pumped to see your question until I realized nobody has an answer. We have pretty much the same dilemma exept opposite. Too bad you are not located in the NE or we could just trade transmissions lol. I'll let you know how I make out in a few days if your at all interested.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Fingers crossed!!!

Please let me know if this works for you, as I will do the same. If it does not I am interested in swapping transmissions. It would cost only the shipping (roughly $200). mine is still on the crate in the same state I received it… If the TCM swap works would you be willing to sell me your EKD TCM.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ninthmyers
Please let me know if this works for you, as I will do the same. If it does not I am interested in swapping transmissions. It would cost only the shipping (roughly $200). mine is still on the crate in the same state I received it… If the TCM swap works would you be willing to sell me your EKD TCM.
Yes totally I will keep you updated. I would definitely be interested in trading transmissions (if it comes to that), I'm a mechanic at an independent shop so I would be able to pack it on a crate and all that, but I'm really hoping the TCM swap does the trick In which case I would be happy to sell you the EKD tcm. I will know Tuesday either way.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Any news?

Just wondering if this fix worked for you?

Old 03-25-2015, 08:09 PM
1st Gear
Default uggggggg :(

literally just left the shop where I work. It didn't work, instantly into limp mode. I plugged in the snap on scan tool and read the transmission codes, don't remember the exact code but it said something like incorrect coding. I'm not giving up totally, there is a shop down the road from where I work that specializes in VW/Audi, I'm gonna have a chat with them and see if there is anything that can be doNE short of changing the tranny. I'll let you know what I find out.