General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Management - PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Default Engine Management - PLEASE HELP!!!!

I'm going to keep my story short because if I told you everything it would take forever!

I have an Audi A2.

About 2 months ago the Engine Management Light came on and the car started SHAKING and would not drive properly. I called Audi roadside assistance. When the engineer hooked up the computer it came up with the code which meant "MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 2"....

The car then corrected itself and drove normally.

2 weeks later... the Engine Management Light came on and the car started SHAKING and would not drive properly... AGAIN I called out the engineer and again the computer said "MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 2".... YET AGAIN the car corrected itself and drove normally.

I booked the car into the AUDI garage where I bought it. As I was delivering it to them the light came on and so they recieved it WITH THE FAULT SHOWING... they hooked it up to the computer and got the same message...

After much arguing and frustration which I won't go into now the garage REPLACED THE ECU and the ERG??? (is this correct??) anyway... the garage tested the car for a few days before ringing me to tell me the problem was fixed and I could collect my car. I picked it up... drove for 3 MINUTES and then... you've guessed!!! the Engine Management Light came on and the car started SHAKING and would not drive properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have just telephoned me now to say that when they went to test the car the light had reset itself and they can't find a fault!!!!

SO IN SUMMARY:

I now have a car that every 2 weeks starts to drive very shaky and I have to pull over, turn off the engine... WAIT and then hope that the fault resets itself before I continue my journey.

What should I do?

The garage still have the car and are testing it to see if they can make the light come on for a FIFTH time!!! I only bought the car from them 6 months ago!!!

What legal rights do I have?

Has anyone on these forums experienced anything like this?

I feel like I have purchased a dud car! And they are the top LONDON AUDI DEALERSHIP....

Any advice would be welcome!

All the best,

Chris.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Default RE: Engine Management - PLEASE HELP!!!!

I wonder what the code was?? Cylinder 2 misfire could be a few things
code 16686 = Cylinder 2 misfire problem could be spark plug, HT lead, injector, ignition coil, low compression, wiring

code 00576 = knock control, cylinder 2 control limit exceeded problems could be fuel pressure, misfire, intake leak, injector.

you need to know the code they got

Old 02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

sorry but if it is erratic like that and is not the plug,it could be the very start of a blown head gasket,triggering when thermostat opens and closes,w/its temp and pressure change.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Senior Administrator

I think he want an answer of how to resolve his problem with the Stealership that sold him the bad #2 cylinder in the first place...