General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine start odd grinder sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Default Engine start odd grinder sound

Hello everybody,

I ran into a problem last winter and it seems that it is going worse.
When it is relatively cold outside (lets say below +2 celsius) and I start the engine, immediately after the engine starts (te be more accurate: contact, wait check lights to goes out, ignition, 1400 RPM and fall down to 1100) right in the 1-2 secondswhen the engine "finds" the idle RPM (those 2 seconds when the RPM comes down from 1300 to 1100) a sound like a grinder (powerfull sound when starts and then it is attenuate to silent) is well heared even when the hood is closed. I could not locate the sound precisely and I just want to tell me if you had the same problem and if you think that this is a worry or not-to-be worry issue.
In the summer time the sound is gone, so I think that is related somehow to the oil and to my old (now fixed) problem with oil pump.
Could be the turbo that makes this sound ? because is rather a "fast" grinder (with many rpms sound)

Thank you guys,

Audi A6 AEB stock engine, 1998 model, 100,000Km
Castrol RS engine oil.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Engine start odd grinder sound

High-pitched, or low? It'd help us help you more if you could narrow down where the noise is coming from. See my reply in the "odd sound" thread...

Old 02-28-2007, 11:29 AM
1st Gear

you know what this is the one i fogot on my thread earlier!!!

i have a similar prob .. when it fire up .. i get a really noisey bottom end clunk grind .. then it dissapears!!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 AM

Hello,

there is a high-pitched sound, located (75% sure) in the front of the engine near (below) the air filter.

....alfiesride... I am not sure I have understand you, but I will look for your threads.

Thank you

Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Senior Administrator

Well, n566631 (who picked your name, anyway, your warder?!?!?), it's not a normal sound for an engine to make, otherwse EVERYbody's car would be doing teh same thing... So, it'd something to worry about. Since it's happening only when it's cold out, and (I'm assuming) the engine is cold, too, it may be an oil circulation problem. Do you switch to a "winter-weight" oil during the colder months? Have you changed teh oil recently? Thicker oils don't flow so well, initially, when it's cold out and the block is cold, too. Try changing to a lighter weight (5W or 0W) motor oil, see if that cures it. Or, are you SURE the oil pump repair/replacement was handled properly? Maybe one of teh passages is blocked.... Just some things to consider. I'm not a professional mechanic, and I've never personally experienced the problem you are, so I have only suggestions, not a solution.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:39 AM
4th Gear

i have a similar problem but that happened to me when it was really freakin cold like below 0 so it may not be the same noise but for me it was just power steering pump, i guess theres moisture in it and it just froze until i drove it and it warmed up the fluid.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Awd...
...yeap odd nickname indeed, but after 1 month in which i have tried to remember it, it isapittyto change it right now...

I am using/used only Castrol RS (10w-60), so your assumption thatthe oil might be a little more dense on low temperatures it is quite ok...
your second assumption (or just one related with the above)that there might be a oil circulation problem is again ok
unfortunately the temperatures will not drop below 5 Celsius for 10 months, so I can not see if the sludge in the oil pump was the cause of the sound.
The only thing that doesnt make any sense is the arbitrary way that occures. the only thing that is constant is that there have to be cold outside. Not below 0 necessary.

Anyway, thank you guys for the clues, hope that the key to all of the problems was this sludge thing that isn't anymore.