General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Facts about oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Site Moderator
Default Facts about oil sludge

Ok i see lots of people having different ideas of what sludge is and how your engine gets affected even knowing your're doing all your maintance.
Fact one, synthetic oil does NOT save your engine from sludge, audi dealers use full synthetic required by audi for all A4 1.8T engines, the TT 1.8gets conventional oil yet never gets sludge. Why?
Fact two, using a larger oil filter does help reduce the chance of sludge but your're still gonna get sludge even using a full synthetic oil.
Fact three, the only reason why the A4 1.8T engine looses oil pressure and the TT 1.8T doesn't is the oil pick up tube design, the A4 has a lot finer screen that gets clogged very easily and hence looses pressure.
So using these facts why would you think just using a bigger filter and synthetic oil is gonna save your motor when the TT 1.8 uses conventional oil and a much smaller filter? The answer is its not, just about ALL of you that ownes a A41.8T is gonna get sludge no matter how good and how often you change your oil at some point. There are other factors in the PCV system affecting this but as far as the oil pressure problem its just the pick up tube.
Now in order to try and eliminate getting stranded on a long trip (usually happens) is to use a good quality synthetic, larger oil filter, and either using seafoam in the oil every 20k, or a full engine flush every 40k to try and keep the pick up tube as clean as possible. NOTE: this is only a preventitive, its still gonna happen to you, this will just help delay it and keep your engine from serious harm.

P.S This is a world wide TSB,ANY 1.8Tengine that developes oil pressure problems due to sludge and can show oil change reciepts up to the current mileage will get the repair free of charge regardless of mileage. Including free engine replacement if the damage to the engine is too severe.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Facts about oil sludge

how tuff of a job is cleaning the pick up screen?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Site Moderator

The pick up tube itself only has two small 10mm bolts holding it on, the hard part is getting the lower oil pan off. You can use a jack on the transmission bell housing and un-bolt the subframe to get enough access to get the pan out, its not a job for someone that doesn't have a large set of metric tools and experience.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Site Moderator

Thanks for the info. Im surprised synthetic doesnt drasticaly cut down sludge. Will a TT type pick up screen work on an A4?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 PM

You refer to the 1.8. How common is this on a 2.8, and doesthe above still apply?

Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Site Moderator

As far as i know the TT pick up tube won't fit on the A4 1.8T.
As for the 2.8L question, no other audi engine is commonly affected by sludge.
The only other motor i have seen sludge in was a 2.7T engine, but the guy never changed the oil on a regular basis andhad sludge build up to the valve covers, but yet never threw a low oil pressure light... Go figure....

Old 08-02-2007, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear

Isn't there an oil line that runs right near the turbo so the oil gets cooked?

Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: wood_e

Isn't there an oil line that runs right near the turbo so the oil gets cooked?
Um, no. Both the turbo feed line and return line gets hot as hell but it doesn't have anything to do with oil sludge.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:19 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

I have some friends in a machine shop who have made gun parts for me in the past that I've designed myself in Pro/E. Would it be possible to design and make a larger pickup tube, or are there other fundimental flaws with the engine beside the tube, screen, and small stock filter?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. Makes me wanna trade my A4 in for a TT.

Quick Reply: Facts about oil sludge