General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Flashing PRNDS only after selecting "Park"- I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Stu
1st Gear
Default Flashing PRNDS only after selecting "Park"- I need help!

Hi there,

I have had trouble with the ECU on my A4 2005 B7 before when it would surge in normal mode and was only driveable in sport mode. I had this sorted out and the ECU reprogrammed at a total cost of about £1k. It has been now just over a year and I have started to have problems with it again. This time however it will only flash in the PRNDS panel after it has been in park. I'll take it out in the morning- no problem, then pull up, put it in park and it will start to flash. If parked for a while it will go back to normal- for example yesterday it did not happen at all as I drove to the station, parked all day, then drove home.

The only other sypmtom I've had is that it sometimes feels as though it will not go into reverse although it eventually does (and this is always only if the PRNDS lights are flashing), and once, when reversing it seemed to stall with the engine stopping completely.

I've taken it to my local mechanic who, when they eventually were able to get it to flash, was able to read a "transmission ECU- range sensor fault).

Now I'm faced with another massive bill for replacement/ reprogramming of the ECU (again) or is there possibility that there may be another (simpler and cheaper) fix to this given that it only happens after being in Park?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Stu